Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saw/Pruners

rrr

Something that I observed from watching others this year was that I need a folding saw and a telescopic pruner for clearing shooting lanes. This year when I did it I took a bow saw and a full-length pruner, and while that worked, I want something lighter that's not going to require a whole trip into the woods to do...

Thanks for your suggestions.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I broke down and bought one that fits in my pack. I can reach out maybe 8-10' with my monkey arms and this saw. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but I think Jesse said he has one too. I am thinking it was around $50-60 but it extends maybe 5-6'. Hooyman. Had to go separate the kids from killing each other and stepped into the garage to look. Dang canceled school days suck!

Another option for non-hunting situations is just an expandable pole saw/pruner. I got mine at Walmart after the season for around $30. It is made by Fiskars. I will use it in mid summer when hanging permanent stands and ladders. Fiskars makes some pretty good stuff. Don't overlook your local Stihl dealer either. They have some loppers and pruners which are not too bad. Surprised me when I asked the price. I figured they would be too much given the name, but they are reasonable.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Phil, I believe you are talking about the Hooyman Saws. We bought them at the expo last year, and IMO, they are worth every penny.
http://www.hooymansaws.com/

I have a pair of Gerber pruners and they do ok, but if I was going to buy another pair, I'd spend the extra money and go buy ratcheting pruners. You can cut through larger, harder wood with them with less effort.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have a folding saw as standard equipment in my day pack. Once in a blue moon do I have nippers.

I have on occasion, lashed the saw to a pole (stick found on location) for the high trim jobs.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I do the same thing CJD does. I carry a Eastman Outfitters folding pole lock saw and if need be can cut a sapling down and use for a longer handle to reach the high stuff. I'm also going to add a pair of nippers this year.

rrr

Well shoot, never thought about just tying it onto a stick....shooottt

Looks like this poor college kid is just going to get a folder saw!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well shoot, never thought about just tying it onto a stick....shooottt

Looks like this poor college kid is just going to get a folder saw!

Dang Steve. Don't let them suck the common sense out of you in college. I have seen people come out of college dumber than they went in.:smiley_clap: