Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saw a big one on Monday!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My buddy and I took the Ranger to go check an area that we hung a stand and planted a small fall food plot in a 5 acre patch of woods that is surrounded by corn. As we entered the area and we could see the food plot a really nice 8 point stood up and took off! It's rack was dark colored so I'm assuming it shed it's velvet but I could be wrong. It looked like it would score around 140'' and that's big enough for me! I'm very excited about this spot, my buddy has never harvested a deer before and I hope one of us gets a shot at him. I told him early in the summer that this spot is happening since the deer like to browse it and use it as a funnel to get to the pond 75 yards away. This area is only going to be hunted in the mornings until we get a better idea of what's going on. We had a cam up but got a pic of some stranger so we decided to take it down before it got stolen. Do you guys have any thoughts on how a deer would use this kind of area during the day? I have found beds in there in the past and there is some thick stuff.

Sounds very promising Bigslam51!! If it's got the cover and beds like you say it could be a great spot for a deer to get up and feed off and on throughout the day provided they don't sense any pressure. Might be tricky getting in and out though without busting them out of the area.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a place to go during lockdown as well. If you aren't seeing much during the rut I'd try to slip in an hour before first light and hunt it all day.

Gotta get you pumped up to see a dandy like that near one of your stands! Good luck with him!