Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage Super 17 and a new Nikon

I sighted in my Savage 17 Super Mag with a Nikon Prostaff 4x12, this afternoon. Dead on at 100 yards with a 1 3/4" hold over for 150 yards and 4" hold over at 200 yards. This rifle continues to impress me for accuracy and groundhog killing power.

After sighting in, my first 4 shots...138 yds., 148 yds., 62 yds. and 136 yds., killed 4 groundhogs. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Super 17 A.jpg
Super 17 B.jpg
17 Super Mag.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Very bad ass there.
I went over a year after getting my 17 before even reaching for a 22! Lol

I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment from yours!

I love my .17HMR, but I do have an itch for the .17WSM. I just don't feel it will be that much of an upgrade for chucks and calling raccoons. Most times when I call coons I grab the .22WMR to carry along.
Hortontoter,
The only reason that I sold my .17HMR, was that on body shot g-hogs, I'd have to shoot them a second time...not always. Having said that, it was extremely accurate.

My .17WSM is almost as accurate as the .17HMR (1/4" groups vs. 1/8" or 1 hole groups), but the killing power is extremely impressive. 3000 f.p.s out of a 20gr. bullet allows for some extended range hunting. I feel as if I have the centerfire rifle killing power...without having to reload. Even so, I don't know if I'd trust it for coyotes. Coyotes are tough customers.
My first 4 g-hog shots were intended body hits and their reaction was identical to a centerfire rifle hit.

Bowhunter57

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've got a 17 WSM and love it. I got the heavy barrel version, replaced the stock with a Boydes Thumbhole, and put BSA's 17 WSM scope on it. I shoot the 25 grain bullets and have killed several ground hogs and gophers with hit. I use it for coyote and fox hunting too, but haven't had a chance to shoot at one. Saturday I came close on a coyote, but he was 250 yards away and I wasn't confident that the gun would do the job. Under 200 I'm pretty sure it would, but past that I'm not sure.

I used to shoot the 20 grain bullets and they'd fly right through the ground hogs resulting in them running back into their holes (never to be seen again).