Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Salt fork state park

NYBOWHUNTER1

Hey guys/girls,
I am headed to salt fork state park for a "do it yourself" bowhunting trip, does anyone have any pointers, or areas of salt fork that might be of interest? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for any and all advice

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I have no advice or experience there but welcome to you!

When are you planning on coming? I'm sure between now and then someone will be able to chime in.

My advice would be if you have the option go during the week. The few times I have been down that way hunting near Plainfield I have ventured to both Woodbury and Salt Fork during the afternoon to maybe do an evening hunting but turned around after seeing the amount of hunters. I don't know if its just happened to be when I venture that way or what but both times I have been there every pull off where you could fit a truck there was at least one truck there with people hunting. Spoke with a few guys at there truck and they seem to advise that it is like that everyweekend from about mid-October until the end of season.

nis1

When will you be hunting? I haven't actually hunted salt fork but I have scouted it several times and was also drawn for the controlled hunt they do there so I'll be spending a couple weekends down there later this season. I wasn't blown away by deer sign but I haven't been too deep in there this year either. There is a bunch of corn in all the fields along 22 providing plenty of food and cover...but it's also pretty easy access so I'd anticipate those areas will get some pressure. Last time I was there, it was only for an hour and there were lots of out of staters scouting. Talked to a nice gentleman from Georgia and two other fellas from PA. Expect to see other people there during the rut but there's a lot of acreage to work with. Also the ticks are pretty bad down there this year..they seem bad everywhere to be honest so just be aware of that and check yourself if you feel something crawling on ya. If you have access to a boat, that's also an amazing way to get into some harder to reach places. Good luck to you!

NYBOWHUNTER1

Anyone recommend another state land that might be worth looking into? A friend mentioned checking out the Johnny Appleseed area??

Floki

You've got clendenning by tappen lake. Also if you get off exit 54 I believe it's the exit before saltfork /rout 22. Kimbolton exit.. go east and you come to a stop sign with a general store ice cream etc... make a left and about a half mile down the road on the right you will see freedom road follow it and theirs public lands their to. Signs say brushy fork not sure what state land it is but I hardly ever see anyone parked their. Also can fish.

Floki

Theirs two parts of clendenning lake... I know one part gets hit pretty hard. The other I don't think many people know about. It's by the backwaters of clendening. You can enter it off feedsprings hill ,Turn on to 799. You would have to get a map not sure how lands run. But if you could canoe across lake/channel and it's public their as well you may be on to a great gig. You don't got to have a canoe their are accessible parts to hunt with out. Nice pine groves and thickets you can see from the road. Their is also public land by Tappen lake off feed Spring Hill road. It's probably 4 miles before.799 theirs a blue house on the left by a sharp corner an old dirt road that leads to tapped lake theirs public land at the end.

Never hunted any of it. Due to having private land. These two spots would be worth your time. I really like the looks of the land off 799 the best plus the fishing their is great.

NYBOWHUNTER1

Thanks guys, I will definitely check those spots out. Getting excited about the trip, can't wait! I will let ya know how I do.

Bigcountry40

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm heading out there the first week of November, just wanted to try something new.

There will be a lot of other residents and non residents with the same idea you have, state land is arguably more crowded during the rut than it is during gun season anymore. You'll hear guys say "just go deeper" but there will be hundreds of others thinking the same thing. Not trying to discourage, just trying to give you an actual idea of what do expect.

Floki

Definitely would be a honey hole if the other side of clendening on 799 is public.. Only way to get there is canoe.

Floki

Also if your going to salt fork. If you go to the next exit down or exit 46 get off go east on route 40 the first road on the right maybe a mile from express way. Kurdoroy road. Turn on it go a half mile down road. Their is a 50 yard open bow shooting range with a platform,From ten yards out to fifty multiple targets. Free.