Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saddlepants Hunting log

saddlepants

central Ohio
OMG OMG!! one of my moms physical therapist is trying to secure her grandpas farm for me for the rest of the season and next year. She says no one has hunted it for years she thinks. OMG OMG!! fingers and toes crossed...its only about 15 minutes away. She understands my safety concerns so she offered to talk to him tomorrow.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Doesnt look like ill be getting that prospect in time for the gun opener but my husbands gonna drop me off at the siezed property (so my trucks not sittin there) and pick me up later tonight so I can slip back into my quarry spot without crossing the river. I can follow along the farm fields and stalk my way in. Havent seen a deer in weeks - not anything since I blew it on that last buck

saddlepants

central Ohio
Skunked again...I did have NINE bearded turks walk in damn near in my lap, they hung around the entire time I had to sit so still then as I figured they would I counted them one by one as they roosted in the trees behind me so close I had feather bits breezing by me. I learned something new tonight. Turkeys wont stay put after they roost as I always thought. several of them flew into the quarry when the y spied me getting up at dark after a few loud cuts. After Ken picked me up in the drive we spooked up three deer that were...of course...right up by the silos on the siezed property...figures but in the skyline it appeared to be two does followed by a buck. Didnt see rack but he was big and square shaped. Limping bad on a front leg.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Well now that Mom is doing great at taking care of herself and getting around well (for now) Im getting some chances to get back out. Going down to my friends house down the road tonight. He property is at the other end of my woods and another funnel where they cross the road from one big woods to another, My other friend owns the property across the street and they have been seeing a boatload they said passing through and crossing. Gonna go in the rain tonight and If it looks promising might just go there opening morning or tues.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Well I donned the rain suit and went down to my friends. Pushed two does out on the way in. The Im hearing small shots and look up to see the renters in my friends next door property above me on the hill at less than 20 yards with the kids after squirrels! DANG!! So I started wistlein and wavin my arms. The dad caught sight of me and waved acknowledgment and they split. So I texted my friend and her husband high tails it over there and there not home so he goes wandering around as well...Geesh, Am i not supposed to see any deer EVER? He walks within 15 feet of me and about jumps out of his skin when I wave at him. Didnt see a damn thing the rest of the night. Got up when it was too dark and the rain started hard and the wind got high. TOO many widow makers over there. Or should I say "widower" makers?