Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rumor Has it. No Ohio Baiting

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not a bad idea.

Played cornhole this weekend with the patriarch of the local deer processing facility. He said our local biologist went up in a helicopter a few times this winter looking for bait sites among other things. He said it's mind blowing how many bare spots with wagon wheel spokes coming off them are present these days. He also said a lot of the racks coming in a exceptionally light and the biologist said he believes it has to do with deer eating mostly shelled corn with the proliferation of baiting. Crazy stuff to hear.

Do you believe that?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes. America's obesity epidemic is directly tied to our massive consumption of corn byproducts. I have little doubt a lazy deer with consistent access to the equivalent of Cheetos on demand at all times, will allow that to dominate it's diet. And when that happens, you'll see nutritional deficiencies. They'd have to suffer for a lack of certain vitamins and minerals if those were not supplemented. So biologically, it makes perfect sense. And based on what I see locally, baiting is rampant. Just like McDonald's.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I wonder what percent of the state herd is he suggesting has this "dietary" issue. . . or is this based on a pocket of land somewhere.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I wonder what percent of the state herd is he suggesting has this "dietary" issue. . . or is this based on a pocket of land somewhere.
Well this was purely anticdotal as it came from a local biologist. This processor also does a ton of WV deer and everyone baits over there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That seems pretty far fetched. Deer have been eating shelled corn for a long time either from a pile or a cut corn field.
People have been eating hamburgers since the 1950s too, but it hasn't really impacted society until the last couple generations. Shelled corn is undoubtedly more prolific today both in pile form, and freestanding in a field. Something like this doesn't happen over night. This has taken a long time to show up. Same as our food system, that of a whitetail has changed significantly in areas of increased ag and baiting. IMO, it's not as outlandish as it sounds.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
People have been eating hamburgers since the 1950s too, but it hasn't really impacted society until the last couple generations. Shelled corn is undoubtedly more prolific today both in pile form, and freestanding in a field. Something like this doesn't happen over night. This has taken a long time to show up. Same as our food system, that of a whitetail has changed significantly in areas of increased ag and baiting. IMO, it's not as outlandish as it sounds.
True, didn't think of it that way.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

The problem is fast food hamburgers of today are nothing like what was served in the 50's. Today's fast food is hardly considered beef when you look at the chemicals and nutritional makeup. The same might be said for corn with today's GMOs but I doubt the contrast is as great as the hamburger when looking at the nutritional value.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The problem is fast food hamburgers of today are nothing like what was served in the 50's. Today's fast food is hardly considered beef when you look at the chemicals and nutritional makeup. The same might be said for corn with today's GMOs but I doubt the contrast is as great as the hamburger when looking at the nutritional value.
Not talking nutrition as in what the nutrient content was then and now. I'm talking consumption and how it impacts the deer's nutrition. We didn't eat hamburgers in the quantity we did in the 50's. Even if today hamburgers were just as "nutritious" as they were 70 years ago, we consume 100 times more. Same for the corn. Nutrient wise, probably not much difference. However now it represents a much higher proportion of nutrional intake by today's whitetails. That's bound to have some impact. Corn is a carb and deer are not meant to have starchy carbs at the rate they get them today. They are supposed to browse and can consume some 200 different plants. We've created monocultures for big ag, and one stop shops with bait sites. In shorter time than evolution can adapt to the diet change, both human and whitetail diets have seen a drastic increase in corn consumption, and it stands to reason whitetails will see some negative effects just as we have.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't disagree with that. Evolution hasn't caught up with the agricultural revolution and massive amounts of grain products being consumed today. The same conclusion could be made for deer or other livestock.

Not sure that corn is more prolific today than it was 30-40 years ago. Farming equipment and practices have increased efficiency so that there is far less corn left in the field when it is cut. The old days there was quite a big left of waste for deer to consume. Corn is only consumed in the field for a relatively short period of time in the fall. Typically when corn is ready in the field there is also alot of natural food such as acorns so deer aren't just eating corn.

As far as feeding, I can't really comment since I am from PA where feeders are illegal and taboo. LOL.

Bigcountry40

I think the reason these last few couple generations are so unhealthy is because of the lack activity we participate in. 1950's life/work was much harder. But I do see your point and think you maybe on to something.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think the reason these last few couple generations are so unhealthy is because of the lack activity we participate in. 1950's life/work was much harder. But I do see your point and think you maybe on to something.
It's a massively complicated algorithm, but we are certainly more sedentary. The same could be said for deer as food is also easier to find nowadays. I'm just thinking out loud for the most part. I'm no biologist...