Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ruger AMERICAN in 450 Bushmaster

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If i didnt already have a good shooting marlin 45/70 i could get behind that.

I'm the same boat with a excellent custom 45-70. But damn at $1200 retail what was they thinking? I can buy a excellent AR complete for $900 or a complete upper for $549 and already have a ready to go AR lower.
I may wait for our Dist to get them in stock and go wholesale price on the regular model.

I'm the same boat with a excellent custom 45-70. But damn at $1200 retail what was they thinking? I can buy a excellent AR complete for $900 or a complete upper for $549 and already have a ready to go AR lower.
I may wait for our Dist to get them in stock and go wholesale price on the regular model.

The regular m77 scout rifles have the same msrp however they retail at around 850-900 out here.i could see these around the same retail price after initial demand tapers off. My guess ruger had to design a new follower, magazine and receiver ramp to make the gun work in 450 bm. That can be pretty costly considering the m77 is muaser based and designed to cycle bottle neck cases. I think ruger m77 are over priced in general considering they are investment cast receivers. That said rugers castings are very good and strong. Id also be interested to know the thread pitch on the muzzle because thats one ugly brake.

Dollar for proformance the ar beats pretty much everything these days.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The regular m77 scout rifles have the same msrp however they retail at around 850-900 out here.i could see these around the same retail price after initial demand tapers off. My guess ruger had to design a new follower and magazine to make the gun work in 450 bm. That can be pretty costly considering the m77 is muaser based and designed to cycle bottle neck cases. I think ruger m77 are over priced in general considering they are investment cast receivers. That said rugers castings are very good and strong. Id also be interested to know the thread pitch on the muzzle because thats one ugly brake.

Dollar for proformance the ar beats pretty much everything these days.

The Ruger American Ranch 450 B retails for $599 and Dealer $400.
The Ruger Gunsite Scout 450 B rifle shown Retails for $1199 and Dealer is $800 plus.

The Ranch rifle would do just fine with it scoped.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That would be cool.

Cool but at that price I can have almost 3 Ruger ranch rifles at $400 each. I passed on a used AR 450 Bushmaster at the Lima gunshow this weekend. Then they priced the complete upper at $650 which was way too high.
Just another rifle I really don't need but just want.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The #1 price compared to good quality Italian Highwalls, rolling blocks, and sharps is pretty good. Personally I'd prefer a more traditional look.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Doing research on the 450 Bushmaster, 45-70 hot loads in a Marlin, 45 Raptor in a AR10, and the 460 S&W mag rounds.

Almost thinking I'll get a TC encore barrel in 460 S&W as I have 2 TC Encore receivers for ML's. My dealer price is $269.
Shooting the 250 gr bullet at about 2500 FPS it's plus 3.2" at 100 yds, plus 2.8" at 150 yds and zero at 200 yds. That 200 yds is my limit on my farm anyway.

Seems like a good round and price is right. Plus I can shoot 45 Long Colt and 454 Casual in it for practice.
More research.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ordered the TC Encore SS 20" barrel that was in stock from our Dist. Just waiting for them to pick it up. $269 Dealer cost. Already have 2 TC Encore frames so no cost there.
Good part is I should get all the free brass I need from the Ammo Co. I do R&D work for. Plus Lee dies and bullets at cost.
I have several good scopes laying here so no cost there.
Going to be a interesting summer getting the new rifle developed for deer season this fall.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LOL-I couldn't find a AR upper in 450 Bushmaster that fit my means. So last week I went with a TC Encore barrel in 460 S&W.

But today I get a email from a Hamilton dealer that has a 16" 450 BM upper for a AR in stock.
Sent the email to my son and looks like he may buy it after seeing pictures. Plus he'll bring it to the Lima gunshow this weekend. Turned out my son deals with him all the time in AR stuff. Small world.

So I'll have a 450 BM to use anyway at no cost to me. That's even better.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A LGS got 2 Americans in, I bought one for my 4H club to raffle. The other was on the rack for $465. If anyone is interested it was at Expert Outfitters in North Lima.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll have an American soon. It's supposed to be at the gun store Friday. Kristas cousin is going to pick it up so I don't know when I'll get it but she said "Happy Fathers Day". I said, "indeed ". :)
Btw, I looked at the scout rifle the other day. Nice gun, but I don't think I want to spend that much on something I will actually be dragging through the woods.