Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rubber Boots

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My buddy has the Thermacell Heated Insoles and swears by them. That's my next purchase. But they ain't cheap!

I almost pulled the trigger on those last year Jesse.... Just didn't know anyone who'd tried them and didn't want too drop that much coin not knowing....

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I have 800s and 2000s. I absolutely hate the 2000s but they keep my feet warm, zero problems. The 800s are awful in anything below 50. I wear wool with them too. I need new boots before I go out though and want to pick up some new 800s. Way too scared to try uninsulated at this point... I like the sock change idea and foot warmers but I already carry so much crap with me for the all day sit. Plus I leave clothes in my bag for after the walk in which takes up a ton of space.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I just bought the Lacrosse Alphaburly's 1000 gram and I love them. I hunted all weekend and in the mornings it was around 30 degrees, feet never got cold. I got them at Rural King on sale for 119.99

Ricer2231

I have 800s and 2000s. I absolutely hate the 2000s but they keep my feet warm, zero problems. The 800s are awful in anything below 50. I wear wool with them too. I need new boots before I go out though and want to pick up some new 800s. Way too scared to try uninsulated at this point... I like the sock change idea and foot warmers but I already carry so much crap with me for the all day sit. Plus I leave clothes in my bag for after the walk in which takes up a ton of space.

You should consider the throw away foot warmers. I use them and they make a world of difference. I slide them in between sock layers and underneath my toes. They don't take up hardly any room. The only drawback I saw was its like they use up all the oxygen in my boot and sometimes they quit getting warm until you take them out and they get fresh air. Then they get good and hot again. I thought they were just old or something and were junk but as soon as they got in the fresh air they worked fine and I put them back in between my sock layers. As far as the heated insoles, I just can't justify spending that kinda cash when my feet aren't absolutely freezing. My feet do get cold but not to the point of $119.00. Ouch!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
J, if your feet sweat that bad you ought to try roll on anti-persperent on the bottom of your feet

I thought about that. putting my unscented deoderant on my feet. They sweat bad, and thats what makes my feet cold. I used my new rocky socks this weekend and they worked well. added a hand warmer in each boot and I was toasty.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J, if your feet sweat that bad you ought to try roll on anti-persperent on the bottom of your feet

Been thinking about that for a while... Someone else posted it on another thread a while back and it stuck in my head too try it.... Maybe I'll give it a try next week when I head back too the stand.....

I wear boots all day at work as well and my so is are constantly soaked.... And these are insulated at all.... Just combat style steel toed boots.....

Huckleberry Finn

Where did ya get them at Huck and how much were they?

Small time lady in PA. Doesn't even have a website...google 'em and you can probably find a breeder near you. Make sure they have some elastic sown in. Mine were $20, which is a pretty penny for a pair of socks but so far they work great

epe

Lancaster
I thought about that. putting my unscented deoderant on my feet. They sweat bad, and thats what makes my feet cold. I used my new rocky socks this weekend and they worked well. added a hand warmer in each boot and I was toasty.

Use the spray on antiperspirant deodorant. Learned that waterfowl hunting.....

Shoulder Blade

Someone else posted it on another thread a while back and it stuck in my head too try it.... Maybe I'll give it a try next week when I head back too the stand.....

That may have been me.

Clinical strength Certain Dry roll on antiperspirant, end of story.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I believe it was on a thread last year or the year before as well. I tried it once and didn't like it. Can't remember the reason why but I believe my feet were colder. I will have a long walk in tomorrow but need to be ultra quiet once on stand. Outside of changing socks and maybe dropping a hand warmer in, I won't be trying any new tricks.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I love rubber boots when they are new, but I am lucky to get a year out of a pair. The last two pairs of Lacrosse's I've had didn't make a full year. I am hard on them in turkey season though. Thinking of going back to lace up Gore-Tex's.

Shoulder Blade

Well it works for my under arms during the season but with everything, your mileage may vary.

Perhaps you may just not be used to what dry feet feel like while hunting

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I use the Gore-tex lace up and have never had an issue. I have 200 for warm weather and 1200 for cold weather. I tried rubber and I definitely had problems with that bellowing issue. Had a couple old matriarch doe pick me off because of it. Never had that when wearing my gore tex boots.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I love rubber boots when they are new, but I am lucky to get a year out of a pair. The last two pairs of Lacrosse's I've had didn't make a full year. I am hard on them in turkey season though. Thinking of going back to lace up Gore-Tex's.

Wow, Mao... I got 10 years out of my Lacrosse's. In fact, the only reason they're shot now is looking for a deer a couple weeks ago I jumped off a log and a branch went through them. Now, they smell inside to high heaven, but they held up!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Same here dude. I can wear any boot out WAY quicker than any manufacturer would like to hear. I buy a quality pair of rubber boots every 12-18 months.