Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Roadkill buck

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Bullet hole? The only hole in this deer is back behind the last rib from my bow, the bullet in his neck had been there awhile it was actually starting to break down. This had to of happened a LONG time ago bc he was completly healed over. Even took a pic of it, the muscle was completely healed too.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Getting stranger by the minute! That bullet hole looks like a kill shot to me.

If your refering to the little blood spot on his shoulder thats just blood from moving him. The bullet was about 4 inches from his jaw but down his neck and zero blood as you can see in the pic.

Last edited:

Flatlander

Darby Creek
My bad Zach. I thought you were talking about that spot on his shoulder, I was like damn, that is a kill shot for sure. It's crazy how resilient these animals can be. It's also too bad this buck frequented an area where idiots could take pot shots at him. I'll miss seeing him over there.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great forensics Zack! Fuggin guys who can't kill them legally and try cheating will always be out there I guess. Sad...

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Good Job taking care of the situtation.. And you aint the only one without a buck this year.. I hunted 2 states with no buck luck.. All I have is 2 does on opening day of Ky rifle. Im so pissed at this season that im ready to chuck my bow as far as I can, but I know I will just end up going to get it then spending more money to fix what I effed up throwing it lol..

Flatlander

Darby Creek
P1020463.jpg

These were found in his core area just a few feet apart. I shot a different 8 pointer this year and hoped they were from my buck, it is clear they were from the roadkill buck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Doesn't look as though he put much if any more inches on! Maybe a smidge of mass but not much. It would be awesome to get the skull cap and sheds together for a pic...just sayin.

IMO, same deer as well!

Flatlander

Darby Creek
The pic is deceiving with nothing to give a reference. He actually grew a ton! The sheds are only 14 inch mb's 5 inch g2's and 3 1/4 c1's. Like I said, I was watching that buck and he was doing pretty well for a 2 1/2 year old. I was really looking forward to seeing him next year:smiley_depressive: The sheds were his 1 1/2 yr rack only around 80 inches, I thought going to 130's was a pretty good jump. What is normal from a 1 1/2 to a 2 1/2 year old deer?

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wow! He did grow then....a bunch! If you are correct and Zack is correct he put on 30-50 inches depending on if you figured in spread with the sheds. I'd love to see the pics of them together even more now! Great stuff!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I am like Ric, I'd like to see them together TOO. They look to be the same deer, just like to compare and see where he put most of his growth. Kinda cool that Jim and Zach have had the same bucks in their hunting areas. Small world we live in.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I wouldnt have a prob getting them together at all since we live and hunt all around each other. This buck was def a 3.5 yr old though, I would say those were his 2.5 yr old sheds you have Jim. Either way he blew up for an 8pt. Theres several dandies that run that stripe but between cars, poachers, and tresspassers its a rough area but heck thats EVERYWHERE now a days.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
You're probably right about being 2 1/2 last year. I just thought being only 80 inches might be 1 1/2 but he did have a decent body last year to go with it. let me know when you get him cleaned up since you're doing a euro and I can get with you for some pics. Your place or mine, no problem.