Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Redcloud's 12/13 hunting log

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Didn't get out at all this past weekend. Too much stuff to get done around the house. Monday was nothing but high winds and horizontal rain. Tuesday I got out in the morning and sat until noon with no sightings. Came home and grabbed a bite to eat and warmed up. Went back in the afternoon to another set that had not been used yet this season and they had taken the corn off finally just a couple days ago. At about 5 a doe worked her way out into the cut field about 50 yards from me. Head down just eating away. She was in no hurry to go anywhere. She was the only deer in the field and nothing followed her so that was my hunts so far. Didn't even bother getting out of bed early to go this morning. Figure I will just wonder out this afternoon and watch the squirrels prep for winter.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
After watching the local squirrels this week I have come to know the neighbor red squirrel and have named his twitch. I tell ya, them little red squirrels are tweakers. I don't think the little fella or the one about 20 yards from him can sit still more then a half a second. Always bounding here to there and chewing on nuts running in and out of holes in the trees. I have also noticed that he chirps and barks at everything but most times at nothing at all. Just plain crazy to sit there and watch him go about his busy day lol.

Oh yeah, this is my deer hunting log. Well, I have been hunting hard since Tuesday since Monday was a wash. I have hunted mornings, afternoons, and evenings and have only seen one doe all week. Heading back out to start my late afternoon/evening hunt so we shall see what happens. Hopefully the river has come down enough that the deer will be crossing it again and coming into my side of the river bottom. Let ya'll know how it goes this evening when I get back.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I tell ya, them little red squirrels are tweakers. I don't think the little fella or the one about 20 yards from him can sit still more then a half a second.

I hear ya Adam. They're fun to watch for a little bit, but then they just start to get on my dang nerves. lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Twitch and I held down the woods again tonight. NADA fuggin thing moved. I tell ya guys what, I don't care what it is, the next dang deer I see is getting whacked.

Flutie, If I didn't have to work on Saturday and then go to Springfield/Dayton on Sunday I would be down. I am back to Sunday & Monday's to hunt since vacation is over tomorrow. Never felt I wasted vacation before but sure did this go round.

Guess I will be back in the woods after the orange army runs everything off. Yeah, this should be a fun finish to a season lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Keep at it Adam, the orange army might just run them back in there TOO. Goodluck buddy.

That's what I am hoping for. It is a thick river bottom and not many walk it. They walk the ridge but that's about it. Late season might be a good time to clock one down there. Just need to wait until after gun season and start dropping the corn.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Another day and another 0 for sightings. I gotta say, this season sucks as bad as the one a year before last. I have setup in 5 stands and have seen a total of 5 deer one of them I shot and am now kickin myself in the ass for shooting a doe yearling. Decided to get down from the stand a little early and walk the riverbottom all the way up the ridge. NOTTA. no fresh deer sign in there anywhere. Pulled my cams and the one near my stand has only had 1 doe in there since Tuesday. Pulled the last 6 screw-in steps from that stand so nobody can climb up and hunt from it during gun season.

After gun season I will decide weather I even want to bother going back out. Done nothing but waste 7 days of vacation