Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Recloud's 2014/15 season

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Decided I needed out of the house so I went with Dante to sit in the woods for a late afternoon/evening sit. Pretty much had activity from start to finish. Had a doe and fawn work past at just after 2pm at 35 yards. At around 3pm I had a small 6pt chase a doe all over the place lol. He must have lost her shortly after I seen them because he came back about 15min later all alone lol. Just after 4pm had a nice 8pt that was working his way toward me but turned at about 50 yards out and go the other way. If he would have gotten a little closer he would have been riding home lol. Had a fawn work in about 5pm and hang around for about 20 minutes and got as close as 7 yards. Just as it was getting to dark to shoot I seen the doe and fawn go past again on their way out to the cut corn. Pretty fun evening and the most deer and activity I have seen on the property in a few years. No shots fired but it was a very fun day none the less.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Funny how that works sometimes. Would have figured Dave would have seen more deer. Just glad you guys are actually seeing some TOO.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Funny how that works sometimes. Would have figured Dave would have seen more deer. Just glad you guys are actually seeing some TOO.

I know I suck but dang Phil lol.

It's kind of funny that I have seen more deer while hunting on the ground this year then I did the last couple seasons sitting in a stand. I don't know why but it is strange for sure. The deer that have come in close while sitting on the ground almost act as if they don't even notice me sitting or standing there. Now put a guy in a tree in that same area and I bet you the deer pick them off. I think they are just so use to looking up into the trees they don't notice the same threat on the ground. Strange but very cool to level the playing field and have them walk into bow range. Only drawback to ground hunting is your sight distance is cut down a lot and you don't see them in most cases until they are 30 yards or closer. I think it's more of a rush and definitely puts a little excitement back into deer hunting for me.

If you guys ever start to get down on deer hunting I would try going the ground route. You can be a little more mobile and your not just stuck in one spot looking at the same leaves. You can sit for a little while then get up and move 40-50 yards and sit some more or you can take it to the deer and stalk after them. If you think about it, the deer have been looking for hunters in trees pretty heavy the last 10yrs and looking for hunters in trees even harder the last 5 years and when you switch it up they don't know to look for the hunter sitting at the base of the tree. Those deer would look at you sitting on the ground and think, WTF is that. Some will get drawn in by trying to figure it out and others will turn and walk off but I'm really thinking it throws them for a loop lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Seeing your woods reminds me of that guy who uses a white 5 gallon bucket to draw deer in for a shot. It's a curiosity thing and those woods look perfect for it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Adam I spent close too 10 years from brushed in ground blinds..... You have more options in most areas and you can set up where trees are not in your favor.....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Adam I spent close too 10 years from brushed in ground blinds..... You have more options in most areas and you can set up where trees are not in your favor.....

I have a ground blind but I'm not using it yet. Just been sitting on the ground right at the base of the trees.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seeing your woods reminds me of that guy who uses a white 5 gallon bucket to draw deer in for a shot. It's a curiosity thing and those woods look perfect for it.

Here is where I was sitting yesterday.

20141109_140311_zps7a3df5d5.jpg

Fairly open behind me but in front of me is thick with small trees and scrub brush.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have a ground blind but I'm not using it yet. Just been sitting on the ground right at the base of the trees.

Yeah, I did it without the popup ones they have now... I used ground clutter lol.... I really liked carving out seats with back rests into hillsides.... Comfortable and you can sit all day lol....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yeah, I did it without the popup ones they have now... I used ground clutter lol.... I really liked carving out seats with back rests into hillsides.... Comfortable and you can sit all day lol....

If I only had hills J lol. If my ADD hadn't kicked in yesterday I would have been about 20 yards closer to the bigger buck yesterday and would have dropped the range to a shootable distance but NOoooo, I had to move putting him out of range. :tantrum:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
If I only had hills J lol. If my ADD hadn't kicked in yesterday I would have been about 20 yards closer to the bigger buck yesterday and would have dropped the range to a shootable distance but NOoooo, I had to move putting him out of range. :tantrum:
That's why I don't sit on the ground very often. I'd be moving all the time
One spot would always look better than where I was.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The only reason I moved was because I tried to get closer to the buck chasing that doe. When I moved back I went past where I had been sitting. If I would have stopped back where I started the bigger buck would have been in range

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stick with it Adam. I killed 5 deer with a bow before I ever owned a treestand. I think it is far under utilized, though I don't do it as often as I should either. There is just something fun about being able to see a little farther, even if you can't shoot 'em.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Stick with it Adam. I killed 5 deer with a bow before I ever owned a treestand. I think it is far under utilized, though I don't do it as often as I should either. There is just something fun about being able to see a little farther, even if you can't shoot 'em.

Will do Brock. I agree, it's overlooked and under utilized these days. I don't have much of a choice this year with climbing limits and all, so, it's a blessing in disguise lol. If I had not been grounded I wouldn't think twice and would have climbed right back into the trees along with everybody else this season.

I would love to get up into my pasture stand. I can see forever up there. It's 200-250 yards down to the woods and close to half mile to the far fencerow on the other side of the ag field. It's my observation stand and I have even killed one buck from it but I can get a pretty good view of that entire side of the road and farm from that one stand especially after the leaves fall.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
With all the action yesterday and the winds being the same direction today I went to try and settle the score lol.

Got settled in around 2:30 today in the same spot I was in yesterday and at just after 3:00 I had a small 8pt come in and circle in behind me at 25 yards. Wind was blowing out of the South and he was straight down wind and he knew something was off but couldn't figure it. Thanks to the Scent Smoker and Brock he just flicked his tail and continued on his way.

[video=youtube;35if1KxW8bk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35if1KxW8bk&list=UUupWLBS53K9R-N7e9kCsO8Q[/video]

3:40 I had a little forkhorn buck chasing a doe and they came in from down wind as well. She got to about 20 yards with that little hornball right on her tail. She cut and took him back the way they had come and as they went away I seen a different 8pt following behind them. He must have pulled a muscle or something because he was limping a little on his right front leg. They all headed off and I sat there waiting for the buck from yesterday or a bigger one to appear but, it was't meant to be today. Guess I will just have to head back out there again tomorrow.