Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So the state attorney general hasn't emailed me back yet with some clarification on this so I thought I would ask you guys.

do people in wheelchairs have to obey stop and yield signs in parking lots.. the reason I ask is in our parking lot outside of my office window there is a 3-way stop. This dude in a wheelchair just blew straight through it yesterday. No I don't really give a shit as far as he's concerned but it did make me question.

Technically he is in a two-wheeled device the same as a bicycle. And we have already established that bicyclist must obey the same traffic laws as motorists. And If a bicyclist has to come to a complete stop so then shouldn't the wheelchair. Technically a bicycle is just a foot powered wheelchair in a different configuration.

Also wheelchairs are allowed on the sidewalk but bicycles are not. Does that mean that these new fancy hand powered bicycles that you lay back in are allowed on the sidewalk and don't have to obey traffic laws?

If a person who was normally in a wheelchair got into one of the hand powered bicycles would the laws change. Technically a wheelchairs nothing more than a hand powered bicycle.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No I was actually quite busy today this is just the kind of shit that torments me.

I mean I have another one currently on my brain about elephants that say pawoo but we'll get into that later

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I look at it different. His wheelchair is just his set of legs. So i would say he is a 'sorta' walking person and just that.
I would say just not govern as a vehicle.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I look at it different. His wheelchair is just his set of legs. So i would say he is a 'sorta' walking person and just that.
I would say just not govern as a vehicle.

If I as an able-bodied person were to sit in a wheelchair would I then also be immune to laws that as a two wheeled cyclist i must abide by.

If the disabled person were to transition to a hand pedaled bicycle would it be classified then as his legs the same as his wheelchair. If so then can he disregard posted traffic signs that an able bodied person on the same model bicycle would have to abide by.

There has to be some form of case law on this.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
#1-If I as an able-bodied person were to sit in a wheelchair would I then also be immune to laws that as a two wheeled cyclist i must abide by.

#2-If the disabled person were to transition to a hand pedaled bicycle would it be classified then as his legs the same as his wheelchair. If so then can he disregard posted traffic signs that an able bodied person on the same model bicycle would have to abide by.

There has to be some form of case law on this.

I would look at #1 as able person in a wheeled vehicle because he can actually walk but isn't.

I would look at #2 as a disabled person with no legs to walk. And he is just walking like you and I are and be bond by walking laws. But if the dumdass wants to get hit that's his own fault.
But a able person on a bicycle is a vehicle by the laws.
IMHO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would look at #1 as able person in a wheeled vehicle because he can actually walk but isn't.

I would look at #2 as a disabled person with no legs to walk. And he is just walking like you and I are and be bond by walking laws. But if the dumdass wants to get hit that's his own fault.
But a able person on a bicycle is a vehicle by the laws.
IMHO.
Interesting. Unfortunately we can't apply one set of laws to this person and a different set of laws to another based on a disability. If an able bodied person is subject to a law then a disabled person must be subject also or its discrimination. Usually we see this the other way as its the disabled person being discriminated against. But if there are two people in a wheelchair. One can walk the other can't. They must abide by the same law.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Joe, I bet the Attorney Generals staff left early and hit the bar (non legally speaking) and called it quits for the day.... lmao...

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I would guess he has to follow the same rules as an able bodied person walking on two legs. If he had one leg and not in a chair he'd sort of have to keep hopping or he might fall over so that guy might get a pass?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Don't they all want to be treated like everyone else? I think people with common courtesy that are willing to stop for them is what allows them to get by without having to stop.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't they all want to be treated like everyone else? I think people with common courtesy that are willing to stop for them is what allows them to get by without having to stop.
There has to be a case law on this somewhere. Man in wheelchair fails to obey traffic laws and is struck by a vehicle. A lawyer could make a good argument that the wheelchair person was at fault and not his client just as it would be the fault of a person on a bicycle that failed to obey traffic laws and was struck.