Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Hunting Land

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Public land in Ohio is overhunted, but can still be good. You just need to put in the effort to find the spots.

People keep coming here because it's a "trip." No different than me going to another state, or Jesse and Chad going to MO last year... A trip is enjoyable when it's new, uncharted territory for you, regardless of your level of success when you get there. It's about the trip itself, not the quarry. That's why so many northeasterners and southerners come to Ohio to bowhunt for weeks at a time... Because it's cheap and it's one of the closest "decent" deer hunting states to their home state. Do they routinely kill 140's?... No. But it's still enjoyable because it's different.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I think most out of staters come here hoping to kill one of the Giants that's behind every persimmon tree though, Jim. At least that's what I gather from the various Ohio deer pages on Facebook and out of state visitors here. Jesse and I weren't looking to put a buck on the wall when we went to Missouri.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think most out of staters come here hoping to kill one of the Giants that's behind every persimmon tree though, Jim. At least that's what I gather from the various Ohio deer pages on Facebook and out of state visitors here. Jesse and I weren't looking to put a buck on the wall when we went to Missouri.
I agree with both JB's original post and what you're saying Chad. We definitely went for an adventure first, deer second. That said, I doubt many deer hunters come to Ohio with priorities in that order. I'd think the vast majority pick Ohio for the trophy potential first, then the adventure. I'd simply argue Ohio isn't an "adventure" state, then again, it's old hat to this native son.

Lots of reasons to come here for a wide variety of folks, so no brush will paint the full picture.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure some are that way. The majority of the NR hunters I've met over the years down in Wayne National were not exactly trophy hunters though. Most of them come for the getaway and a chance at deer, any deer. Obviously the possibility that a bruiser could walk by helps too.

As a fellow PA hunter that just a year ago purchased land that borders the Wayne let me give you some of my observations.

1. We have more deer in PA or at least I do in Western PA. During bow season I will see several times the deer in PA that I see in Ohio. May be a little better this year in Ohio after hunting last year and doing some more scouting, but there is definitely more deer in PA. If you are looking to see more deer then you will be really disappointed with the Wayne.
2. I have seen some nice buck in Ohio, but after logging alot of hours last year, I only saw 1 good buck and that was during the rut. Didn't get a shot at him. I killed a nice gnarly buck, but he was by no means a "trophy buck".
3. The Wayne has some very rough ground to hunt. Very steep. Also the Wayne is all chopped up in private and public land blocks. If you hunt it, you better have something like ONX maps or something as it is easy to get off of public ground.
4. Reread what I said in #1 if your primary goal is to see more deer then I would look elsewhere.

That being said we are very happy with our camp. Alot of that has more to do with the camp experience than it does with the deer hunting. I guess it is an "adventure" for us. Also for me the Wayne offers a different "big woods" type of hunting which is different than the broken woods/farmland that I have been used to.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'll be trying some public land this Oct. so I'm in the same boat as you.... I'm going into this venture with very low expectations not expecting much other than a relaxing weekend... I kinda enjoy the cake and if I get a deer I put the icing on it.. I'm retired so I'll hunt mid-week and don't mind getting in deep.. I also prefer hunting pre-rut when the bucks are starting to get that urge but does are still not receptive... The bucks start roaming more in search of that horny doe.. So if on a smaller piece of public land you may catch a buck out roaming that came from a nearby private farm miles away... Kinda like when you used to go bar hopping... First bar has no ladies you finish your beer and leave to hit another watering hole and another and another till you get lucky...

I sent you a PM...

Last edited:

Murphy31

Western Mass
The New Englanders don't have it so good. I'll see maybe 20 deer in mass and ct all season. Then in a week in Ohio we see somewhere around 20-30 a piece, so to us it is amazing. I get why people from this area would want to venture out. I just don't get the planning all year, practicing all summer, money spent, and all driving. To not really see anything. I think after a few years of it one would get sick of it, and try something different.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The New Englanders don't have it so good. I'll see maybe 20 deer in mass and ct all season. Then in a week in Ohio we see somewhere around 20-30 a piece, so to us it is amazing. I get why people from this area would want to venture out. I just don't get the planning all year, practicing all summer, money spent, and all driving. To not really see anything. I think after a few years of it one would get sick of it, and try something different.
My guess would be that those people don't have the money to throw at a lease. I'd like to have my own 100 acre farm, can't afford that or a lease. The days are numbered for guys like me.

Fletch

Supporting Member
My guess would be that those people don't have the money to throw at a lease. I'd like to have my own 100 acre farm, can't afford that or a lease. The days are numbered for guys like me.

Chad... Dont worry youll always have your honey holes...

Bigcountry40

Ohio DNR has a program for anyone that's looking to hunt on private land. What it is is private land owners get a hold of the DNR and tell them that they have deer damage or they have tons of acres that isn't used. The DNR puts there name down and gets a list county by county. Me and my dad called land owners in 15 counties asking for permission and 50% of them didn't pick up the phone or call back. About 40% wanted to lease it to me for days or weeks. Which is stupid. The remaining 10% allowed me to hunt but they only allowed hunting during certain times. In the end, this does not work at all. I just wanted to take my dad and my father in law out to hunt something different at a reasonable price.

First of all welcome to the site, second I have been told there is some good buck hunting in Penn. I think its call Alleghany National or State Park and its just as good as most Ohio land from talking with people that have hunted both, Third welcome to 21st century hunting where basically hunting opportunities will depend on how deep your pocket book is. Personally I am willing to probably spend about 1k a year on hunting land if I must, but not at that point yet. its probably important for each individual hunter to sit down and ask themselves what is hunting worth to them?". Just some things to think about.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
First of all welcome to the site, second I have been told there is some good buck hunting in Penn. I think its call Alleghany National or State Park and its just as good as most Ohio land from talking with people that have hunted both, Third welcome to 21st century hunting where basically hunting opportunities will depend on how deep your pocket book is. Personally I am willing to probably spend about 1k a year on hunting land if I must, but not at that point yet. its probably important for each individual hunter to sit down and ask themselves what is hunting worth to them?". Just some things to think about.
I always draw a lot of flack for saying this but to me it's not even about the quality of the property. I'm willing to drop 1K a year on a property just so I don't have to deal with morons. Yes I know that displaces other hunters, but in all my dealings on private and public land I've never met another hunter that gives a shit about my setup, hunting smart, not showing up 30 minutes after daylight and walking in on someone etc, and some even play games with the landowner trying to get you kicked out. Most times they're an inconsiderate pain in the ass. Screw em.

Bigcountry40

I always draw a lot of flack for saying this but to me it's not even about the quality of the property. I'm willing to drop 1K a year on a property just so I don't have to deal with morons. Yes I know that displaces other hunters, but in all my dealings on private and public land I've never met another hunter that gives a shit about my setup, hunting smart, not showing up 30 minutes after daylight and walking in on someone etc, and some even play games with the landowner trying to get you kicked out. Most times they're an inconsiderate pain in the ass. Screw em.

agreed, completely.

Bigcountry40

On another note 2 years ago my wife worked in holmes county and I worked right on the edge of Ashland county, we were looking to buy a house in east holmes county putting us very close to Woodbury, I was super excited because I feel like locals near these big pieces of state land can have endless possibilities just due to location, i think Woodbury, Wayne and Salt Fork would be great to hunt on a consistent basis without driving a bunch for 1 sit. My wife ended up taking a job in western ohio tundra lands and I now drive to work an hour each day :tantrum:

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

I still contend that a man can buy a piece of land to hunt on for the cost of a new truck. Only problem with buying vacant land is getting financing, unless one has a big down payment.

I used to hunt the AEP lands in Noble county. I had opportunities to kill deer very often there.

I agree with you completely, but easier said than done for the average working man,

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hear you and will somewhat agree. I think most guys think they need a large parcel. This, in my mind is a stumbling block. My dad kills lots of deer on his five acres and I have very good hunting on my 10. Both properties just happen to have great natural funnels.

We will be purchasing my parent's house and 11 acres a year from now. It's always been my best hunting, even in spite of all the development and hunting pressure that's happened since they bought the land back in 1994. I've had free run of 100+ acres in arguably a better genetic area since 2005 and still haven't killed a buck there. Every mature buck I've killed has come off that 11 acre parcel, or near enough to it that the 11 acres provided the best access for that stand. It just has what it takes to consistently put good bucks in range of a few special trees. Just so happens we don't have a funnel that good on the farm...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I still contend that a man can buy a piece of land to hunt on for the cost of a new truck. Only problem with buying vacant land is getting financing, unless one has a big down payment.

I used to hunt the AEP lands in Noble county. I had opportunities to kill deer very often there.

Buying vacate land is tough. To buy my farm 26 yrs ago I had to take a loan out on my home for the down payment. Then 3 yrs later I sold my home, moved into a 32 ft travel trailer on the property for 6 months while the new house was being built.
Had to use one of my old finance contacts to talk to the bank VP for me to get a large 12 month personal loan to build with. Then refinanced and paid every cent we had for the next couple years to pay everything off free and clear. No new cars or trucks or vacations just multiple RE payments. Then 8 yrs later the wife took a early retirement at 58 and we was just fine because of no RE payments.
It can be done it just takes will power and a little doing without. Even for the working man and wife.