Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Hunters

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Use those cat eyes as sparingly as possible. Others can see them and it'll lead them right to your tree.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I would never put bright eyes in a public woods where I would be hunting........ever. Also, I scout other hunters. I'm not wasting my time on an area that has people waltzing in day after day. I have found some killer spots that have zero sign, but when the rut was rocking I was covered up in deer and had a couple opportunities at mature bucks. They were there because no other hunters were.

Jason Short

Wayne County
I have a couple stands out there right now that have been out all season. Two hang ons that are locked with a chain and cheap lock, could easily be stolen but it would require bolt cutters. I also have an old heavy climber at the base of a tree that has been out there for a while and nobody has messed with it. I had a camera close to my climber that got taken so there is thieves out there I guess they are just too lazy to haul the climber out lol

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I used to hunt Paint Creek which I believe some of it is on Ross and some is in Highland. Not 100% on that though.
I know that when I used to hunt paint creek I always got a laugh when I would walk through some of the different pieces in the dark with a headlamp on it looked like outerspace. There would be cat eyes everywhere from other hunters that put them up over the years and never took them down.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Ive used climbers on public and use a python lock to lock them to the base of the tree. It just keeps anyone one from taking it without cutting the lock and nobody can use it either. Never had a problem.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Use those cat eyes as sparingly as possible. Others can see them and it'll lead them right to your tree.

I haven't hunted public land in years so not too worried about that issue.... Private land has a couple guys that hunt as well and good communication helps immensely....

They make those cat eyes in brown. Those are what I used to use on state land up here for the first say 100 yards, then white cat eyes as I got closer if need be. The can be hard to see so you will need to put them closer to each other but I always would put them down towards the ground, maybe a foot off so they aren't noticed as easily. Some places we've hunted up here in Mich if you just shine your flashlight on the way out you'll know just about everywhere people are hunting that's for sure.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
We camped there once this summer. Beautiful area.

Yes it is beautiful. The hunting leaves a lot to be desired though. Amazing habitat but the amount of hunters is insain. During the rut it is not uncommon to see several vehicles in every parking lot, and there are lots of parking lots. I would guess 85% have non res tags. It's a beautiful area the and I am glad to call it home. The fishing at paint and rocky fork keeps me happy enough most of the year, including winter.