Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Prayers please for my dad

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Overwhelming amount of support, prayers, and encouragement coming in. It is sincerely appreciated. Thank you all!

Latest update: Been one doctor appointment after the next. Drove Mom and Dad to Columbus last night. Stayed at my brother's house. Had an early morning appointment at the James. Functionality MRI is what they called it. Pretty high tech stuff taking place. Got them home safe. My siblings will both be in town this weekend with their families. More appointments next week, then surgery on Thursday.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Erin rode with me today. We received our blessing and I asked for an additional blessing for Dad. The Pastor blessed dad for his upcoming surgery and that he may soon be riding again.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Erin rode with me today. We received our blessing and I asked for an additional blessing for Dad. The Pastor blessed dad for his upcoming surgery and that he may soon be riding again.
That's great buddy. Good karma for sure. Your dad's gonna be just fine.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you all for the prayers. We spent 20hrs in the hospital. Surgery was long and he did fine. They go in for a CAT scan immediately after. They saw clots and took him back into the operating room. Took care of the bleeding and removed the clots. The blood was in the void left by the tumor. Been a long scary day. He is resting in ICU now with my mom, brother, and sister. I took my wife home so we could get the kids off to school in a few hours. Thank goodness they are old enough to chat on the phone and put themselves to bed. Scary to leave them but we were a phone call away and 10min in the car if they really needed us. We kept them reassured Pawpaw would be fine and we stayed close to Mom to support her. I wouldn't wish a day like this on anyone. Thank you again for all the support and prayers.

Now we just need to let him rest and continue to be monitored. Praying there are no lasting effects from the tumor or surgery. Praying the biopsy comes back as non cancerous. Praying for no set backs in the healing process.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So many thoughts from the last couple days. Some scary. Some heart warming. Some of elation, and some of emotional roller coasters.

Scary moment tonight. Rehab doctor is in while Erin and I are visiting dad. He is asking about rehab and where it will be. He mentions the post surgery stroke. He asks if we had spoken with the oncologist yet. I text my brother to bring mom up. I question the oncologist. We have zero pathology lab results. We don't know if it is benign or malignant yet. He speaks of a stroke. We were not aware of any stroke. He speaks of the tumor in the frontal lobe. The tumor was in the right parietal lobe and temporal lobes. Fears are pouring into our minds. Then in walks the neurosurgeon who performed the surgeries. He assured us there was NO stroke. The bleeder and clotting which was taken care of last night would technically be considered a "Stroke" but there were no additional strokes. The neurosurgeon was so kind and thorough. It was very reassuring. He basically put the rehab doctor in his place with a smile on his face. It was the kindest "you're a freaking idiot" I have ever seen delivered. The rehab doctor wanted to disappear. He looked so uncomfortable as he was corrected over and over and over about the incorrect information he had presented. It was scary for a moment but ended with good relief.

Tear jerker moment: Mom walked in. Dad heard her voice and reached out with his right hand trying to find my mother's hand. (His vision is not really back yet.) Mom grabs his hand and he pulls it straight to his mouth and kisses her hand several times. Then he tells the nurse "Look at her beautiful blue eyes. She is so beautiful. I love her so much. Aren't her eyes beautiful?" Guys I am not going to lie here. I had to leave the room. I was ready to cry. It has been so emotionally charged the last couple of days, this was just the best thing I have seen or heard. They truly have a love like I have never seen. It is unnatural they are so in love.

Physical update: Dad has weakness on his left side. His left eye is really not working. It is not always working together with his right eye. His right eye needs to have a cataract removed. Prior to surgery it really wasn't 100%. What he does have is his sense of humor. He has current memories. He has past memories. His left leg and arm showed significant improvement since this morning. Last night it wasn't working at all. Ultimately, we need to wait for the swelling on his brain to go down before we get concerned. The neurosurgeon offered the best reassurance when he said "I am very positive with where we are right now. It has been roughly 24hrs. We had no left side movement last night. We have movement now. We are in a very good place this soon after surgery."

Humorous moment: Nurse is adjusting the nasal canula delivering oxygen. Dad mentions his nose is off. He tells her "That might not stay in place. You might have noticed my nose has been broken. When I was in college in the late 1960's at Ohio State University I was playing football. Woody Hayes was the coach at that time. I broke my nose playing football at Ohio State." I said "But dad, you didn't play football for Ohio State." He replied "Yes. I was playing football at Ohio State. Woody was the coach at the time. I broke my nose playing football at Ohio State." So I repeat "You weren't on the Ohio State football team." He comes back with "It was the apartment leagues. But Woody Hayes was the coach of the football team at the time AND I was on Ohio State campus playing football on the weekend. I never said I was on the football team." lmao

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Sounds like he's progressing at a heck of a pace, Phil. To go through what he did and come out almost immediately cracking jokes is a good sign of brain activity IMO!