Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Post Season Scouting

Jake_C

Here's a bed I found in some nasty thick stuff on a point that was clear cut several years ago.

These rubs are right in the bed. Looks like it's been used for at least two or three years judging from the rubs.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Nice. I found some of that myself and 2 buck beds. Damn near impossible to get set up on though. One is on a point overlooking a lake and the wind blows from the only access to the lake so he'd wind you for sure. Thinking about buying a canoe and launching an early season water assault.

Would that be the lake in your backyard?

lidspinner

Be finding mushrooms before long with this warm spell. Crazy weather. I'm afraid it's going to mess up the fungus hunting but maybe it'll do the opposite.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Some good looking sign you found! I took a quick walk through some south facing bedding yesterday. No sheds, but lots of good sign. Great time to be out scouting.

Jake_C

Be finding mushrooms before long with this warm spell. Crazy weather. I'm afraid it's going to mess up the fungus hunting but maybe it'll do the opposite.
I always keep my eyes out during these freak warm spells. I have found a couple of the tiny black ones this early during warm spells before.

Jake_C

Some good looking sign you found! I took a quick walk through some south facing bedding yesterday. No sheds, but lots of good sign. Great time to be out scouting.
Agreed. You can't beat a walk in the woods with weather like this.

I did pull a total of 9 tiny ticks off of me yesterday though. So that's something to look out for.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I did pull a total of 9 tiny ticks off of me yesterday though. So that's something to look out for.

Tics are horrible this year.... I had about the same on me yesterday down by Calcutta....

jlane

dunn nc

Yes the ticks are already out, the wife found a shed in some nasty thick stuff and when she pulled it out she had about a half dozen ticks on her pants, then that night she had one dug in on her neck.
So be careful out there.

Fletch

Supporting Member
As much crp as there is in Illinois ticks have only been an issue one year. That year we were covered in them. Also ran into some CHIGGERS that year. You ever get them bastards on you will be in pain...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Never ran into chiggers. Haven't heard much good though.[/QUOTE

That trip my friend had to go to the doctors when we got home.. I went through 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol on the trip home.. Legs were rubbed raw.

Jake. To answer your question about the Illinois deer herd and EHD...Some areas were hit hard. Not so much where we are..