Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Polypropylene base layers

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had some for a while and they do serve their purpose. The downfall is that they wash up horribly (shrink and such) and they are HOT as hell when you are moving around. They do not wick moisture like Under Armour and are much bulkier compared to UA. Having owned both, I would spend the extra money and buy the UA Cold Gear or look at the Cableas and Bass Pro versions of UA.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Not this brand but I have used polypropylene baselayers for all kinds of outdoor activities since early childhood. Now I have a midweight set I layer with while hunting.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have the rocky stuff like this. Its warm but you can get real hot real quick..and yes it shrinks!

x2. It's great if your gonna sit in cold weather. I wear my UA coldgear under it and you definitely keep warm. If I'm wading the Maumee River for Warreye's in March when its cold as hell, Poly Pro is a must to keep the legs warm

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have some of the Cabelas ECWS stuff, and it is lightweight like UA, but it has a fleece type inner lining. Holds the heat well, and wicks well also. I like my UA, but the more I use the ECWS, the more I like it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I want something that will wick away moisture. Sounds like Under Armour is the way to go.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had some for a while and they do serve their purpose. The downfall is that they wash up horribly (shrink and such) and they are HOT as hell when you are moving around. They do not wick moisture like Under Armour and are much bulkier compared to UA. Having owned both, I would spend the extra money and buy the UA Cold Gear or look at the Cableas and Bass Pro versions of UA.

+1 to all that Jesse said.

I have a set of this stuff... ECWS top and bottoms that I picked up at the local military surplus store. It's nice except for the downfalls that Jesse mentioned. And I really HATE the collar on the shirt... It's terribly annoying and uncomfortable. UA Cold Gear or equivalent, or some good quality merino wool base layers are the best way to go.

From what I've been told, First Lite baselayers are the cats pajamas... literally. I think Milo might have a set.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am of the minority. I wear a layer under the ECWS and it does a much better job than UA adding warmth.

Merino for sweat wicking and warmth "control" is the best. I am going to get a set from Milo next year.

I really need some of that copper stuff that shows off your junk ;)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Use the military version and wash n cold water and line dry and you'll have no shrinkage.... Works well for me but like most the wool has my interest here in the future.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I really need some of that copper stuff that shows off your junk ;)

I have a set now thanks to a certain someone. You can check it out at the hunt. And no, not my junk. ;) It's some well made stuff, but its not going to keep you warm and that's not the interned purpose anyways.