Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"Poaching" case goes to the Ohio Supreme Court

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
If this guy was hunting on private property and shot the deer with a bow...and it then traveled onto railroad property and died... If this was me, I would have went to the proper authorities at the railroad who control the property and explain the situation to them...and show them in the hunting regulations the part that states "every effort must be made to recover wounded game"....just saying. If he actually did shoot the deer on private property and it went onto railroad ground...maybe he should have taken the proper steps to get permission to enter the railroad property and look for it without a weapon...who knows...maybe they would have let him or even helped look for it.

It truly amazes me how a simple thing as the antlers and antler scoring have completely ruined the integrity of men, I mean take a step back and look all of this of is a derivative of a sport that has evolved into the coveting of a stupid antler on top of an animals head.

Its disgusting that "hunters" go to the extremes to disobey straight forward hunting regulations not only risk financial repercussions as well as potential jail time (at least in PA) but also it is completely poor reflection of character over something so utterly dumb as a piece of horn that grows on an animal. I don't see guys breaking rules and what not to shoot a squirrel or rabbit no because its all about the holy grail of todays hunters which is the antler on a deer.

What I find even more disgusting then the hunter who commits that act is the Government trying to put a dollar on the deer. It truly shows me what hunting has become these days in most peoples eyes when you can shoot a doe or small buck and it only equals "X" (I think someone said $500) but when you shoot a deer with a "Record" scoring rack you have not committed a crime so much worse beyond all retribution so now you have to pay some absurdly ridiculous amount of money. If you poach a deer.....you poach a deer its the same crime so the penalties should be the same whether that be $28,000 for any deer or $500.

To be honest you want to start making a real impact on poaching start throwing fines like that out for people shooting doe, that is where the impact will be. Conditioned response is a pretty simple thought process.

Flathead76

Athens
The fine for an antlered deer under 125" gross score in ohio is 500 dollars. Once you go over those measurements the calculation that I posted earlier get used. I believe the fine for poaching a doe is 300. The DNR made this calculation into law about 5 years ago to hammer poachers targeting big bucks to make examples out of them.
It truly amazes me how a simple thing as the antlers and antler scoring have completely ruined the integrity of men, I mean take a step back and look all of this of is a derivative of a sport that has evolved into the coveting of a stupid antler on top of an animals head.

Its disgusting that "hunters" go to the extremes to disobey straight forward hunting regulations not only risk financial repercussions as well as potential jail time (at least in PA) but also it is completely poor reflection of character over something so utterly dumb as a piece of horn that grows on an animal. I don't see guys breaking rules and what not to shoot a squirrel or rabbit no because its all about the holy grail of todays hunters which is the antler on a deer.

What I find even more disgusting then the hunter who commits that act is the Government trying to put a dollar on the deer. It truly shows me what hunting has become these days in most peoples eyes when you can shoot a doe or small buck and it only equals "X" (I think someone said $500) but when you shoot a deer with a "Record" scoring rack you have not committed a crime so much worse beyond all retribution so now you have to pay some absurdly ridiculous amount of money. If you poach a deer.....you poach a deer its the same crime so the penalties should be the same whether that be $28,000 for any deer or $500.

To be honest you want to start making a real impact on poaching start throwing fines like that out for people shooting doe, that is where the impact will be. Conditioned response is a pretty simple thought process.

Flathead76

Athens
The two were student of the university of toledo. The deer "big boy" was a sidecut park celebrity. There were people who had 8 years of pictutes of that exact deer from walking the park. The deer was 9.5 years old when it was poached. Suddenly the deer went up missing. Then the pictures started to circulate. The thing about a deers rack is that no two are the same. Especially that deer because of the big drop tine and size.
Is this SCP buck the one poached by those two younger boys(18-22) up around Toledo that everyone pretty much knew about that drove by the park by his very distinguishing rack and when the two morons drove several counties away to tag it they were eventually busted?

Reminds me of the big Adams county buck poached by the dude from Ky who got busted during the D&T expo a few years ago because a couple guys who were hunting the deer saw it on display there and had many TC pics of him and the poacher said he legally killed it nowhere near where he did in fact poach it!

Two examples of how cameras have helped busted poachers in the past!IMO

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1425451336682.jpg

Bigcountry40

If this guy was hunting on private property and shot the deer with a bow...and it then traveled onto railroad property and died... If this was me, I would have went to the proper authorities at the railroad who control the property and explain the situation to them...and show them in the hunting regulations the part that states "every effort must be made to recover wounded game"....just saying. If he actually did shoot the deer on private property and it went onto railroad ground...maybe he should have taken the proper steps to get permission to enter the railroad property and look for it without a weapon...who knows...maybe they would have let him or even helped look for it.

Having worked for CSX at the Yard, CSX would not have allowed him to recover the deer. CSX and Norfolk are all about safety, they would never allowed it, to big of a safety concern. If I shot the deer on legal private ground, I would have retrieved the deer (on my own, with no permission) and waited to gut it on my property.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Having worked for CSX at the Yard, CSX would not have allowed him to recover the deer. CSX and Norfolk are all about safety, they would never allowed it, to big of a safety concern. If I shot the deer on legal private ground, I would have retrieved the deer (on my own, with no permission) and waited to gut it on my property.

Yep.....Trust nobody.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I also read in the article that they cut the field grass on the private ground he said he was on totally eliminating any potential blood trail.