Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plot

zebdill

Whats some good plots you guys use as for as a first year with fairly low maintenance (clover beets etc) and have you had decent luck ?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'd recommend doing a soil test also. Whitetail institute has a kit for around $20. You send them your soil and they test it for you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I second the soil test. Hard to give advice with minimal knowledge. Open sun or shady area? What kind of soil? Good drainage? Low ground? Depending on the area, there could be many good options or few. Welcome to TOO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you want to get serious, test the soil. If you're not too worried about it, go with a mix of Cereal Rye (Rye grain), Oats, and red clover. Very easy to plant, virtually zero maintenance, and will damn near grow on blacktop. Oh and the deer will crush it. Me personally, I wouldn't worry about that soil test until you start out with an easy plot and see if you like it or not.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If you want to get serious, test the soil. If you're not too worried about it, go with a mix of Cereal Rye (Rye grain), Oats, and red clover. Very easy to plant, virtually zero maintenance, and will damn near grow on blacktop. Oh and the deer will crush it. Me personally, I wouldn't worry about that soil test until you start out with an easy plot and see if you like it or not.

this, great advice. Id suggest planting in fall, as in spring you'll be fighting weeds, FYI.

Also mossy oak has a soil test for 7.50. You don't have to buy a kit, just gather soil and mail it in. Better than WI based on price and convenience.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This.

I'd caution you to stay away from the Mossy Oak soil test. They've lost my samples 3 times. And took my money twice. Your local ag co-op can should be able to perform the test as well.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This.

I'd caution you to stay away from the Mossy Oak soil test. They've lost my samples 3 times. And took my money twice. Your local ag co-op can should be able to perform the test as well.

I have used Mossy Oak for years, never had one issue. I believe they are the same lab as the WI one as well. Thats odd they did that to you! Now Im nervous to send mine in to them! hahaha

I put in a 1/2 acre plot last year with 0 soil test and no fertilizer/lime. Did spray weed killer a week b4 though.

Through out Plotspike clover, Imperial No Plow, and Daikon Radishes. It came up great! Deer mowed it down and the early season hunting was the best we have had on our property. This is Coshocton county on well drained, very rocky and acidic.

I am going to probably use same combo this year, plus some more radish as the deer really seemed to like them. Best place I know to get it cheap is Merit Seed in Millersburg.