Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Planting your trees

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have been keeping them watered! Shouldn't have to worry this time of the year. Normally see plenty of rain in April. Not this year!

The boys and I potted up another 100 today. Couple hundred to go.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been 6 years Phil.
How those trees doing and what % has survived?

Digging up an oldie thread! I would say I have 20-30 left. Possibly under 20. Only a couple blue spruce made it. Maybe 10-20 of the white pine made it. One oak. Last year or year before I added some. Mainly arborvitae. Might have half of them. Probably under half. I've considered digging some and replanting in a tighter group as they are spread all over right now. Just hate to lose anymore.

I would say the ones which were slightly larger did MUCH better. The 12-18" starts didn't fair well. Larger ones were maybe 18-24" and were my best survivors. Take it for whatever that is worth. Could have been chance or maybe it is well worth it to buy them a little bigger from the start.

Buckmaster

Portage
0-10 on my Paw Paw as I found out the rabbits like eating them.

8-15 on my Persimmon which are about 15 feet tall now. One produced fruit 2 years ago.

Next week...I'm trying it again.

I have 5 Paw Paw and 10 Persimmon on order with my county soil & water dept.

I'm replacing the holes within my Persimmon line (which was about every other) and establishing a Paw Paw line in my backyard (all caged this time).

Reactions: 5Cent and Dustinb80