Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Planting native grasses for cover

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Too early to tell IMO. I've seen areas planted that didn't do shit for 2 or 3 years, then sprung up like you wouldn't believe.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How's your prairie planting doing, Chad? Any obvious signs of establishment? Most of the wsg is starting to hit it's peak right about now so it got me wondering how yours was turning out...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
How's your prairie planting doing, Chad? Any obvious signs of establishment? Most of the wsg is starting to hit it's peak right about now so it got me wondering how yours was turning out...
Haven't checked in about a month lol. I'll slip down there this weekend and see how it's going.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't recall what exactly you planted, but most of the big bluestem I've seen lately is 4-7 ft tall. Switchgrass should be about 4' or so. The bluestem is really taking off lately with this heat.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I think that's what is planted in the fields I hunt...30-40 acre plots. Zero fun trying to track in those fields early season! I will stay as far away from those this year as I can.
I'd be hunting the edges of those fields come late October for sure.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I can't recall what exactly you planted, but most of the big bluestem I've seen lately is 4-7 ft tall. Switchgrass should be about 4' or so. The bluestem is really taking off lately with this heat.
Jim, what would you recommend broadcasting into standing corn so there's some food after it gets cut?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim, what would you recommend broadcasting into standing corn so there's some food after it gets cut?
Rye grain would be a safe bet. Or a variety of winter hardy oats.

It's getting to be too late for beans. If you go with rye, broadcast it about this time next month.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Rye grain would be a safe bet. Or a variety of winter hardy oats.

It's getting to be too late for beans. If you go with rye, broadcast it about this time next month.
I was thinking either winter rye or oats. I had good luck with winter rye last year, didn't broadcast it into corn though.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was thinking either winter rye or oats. I had good luck with winter rye last year, didn't broadcast it into corn though.
Yes that's what I'd do. It comes up great when broadcasted. That's one reason why it's a favorite among cover crops in ag production.