Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Planting native grasses for cover

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I forgot that I did plant the wildlife buffet last spring and it also has forage soybeans in it. Eagle seed was the brand. I'll probably buy a bag just to have on hand. Honestly thinking of just burning the whole plot off and letting it grow back naturally.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I forgot that I did plant the wildlife buffet last spring and it also has forage soybeans in it. Eagle seed was the brand. I'll probably buy a bag just to have on hand. Honestly thinking of just burning the whole plot off and letting it grow back naturally.
That's what I'm doing. I'm done with it.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
One thing I've been doing on my 5 acres is walking the property with a hand spreader and dropping 16-16-16. It really thickened up in the last few years.

jlane

dunn nc
If I were looking to do a thick and cheap bedding or cover, then I would go in and till, lime and cheap fertilizer, Then let mother nature take control.
Hoping briars and tall weeds take control.
We moved our plot this year and let the plot from last year do it's own thing, it grew about 6 ft tall.
I know the deer used it for bedding and travel.
The down side is when frost and ice it layed down to less than 2 ft.

jlane

dunn nc
We have areas that was cleared about 7/8 years ago and its full of briars, there are travel pathes thru it that looks like cows walks thru it.
Going up this week to look for sheds if we can get thur it, it's really thick.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Well I got the big bluestem planted. I killed off some of the winter rye and left the rest standing. Hopefully this stuff grows, good thing I don't drink because this seed was $15 a pound[emoji41]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well I got the big bluestem planted. I killed off some of the winter rye and left the rest standing. Hopefully this stuff grows, good thing I don't drink because this seed was $15 a pound[emoji41]

Good job man. Don't freak out if it doesn't completely take off this year. Sometime warm season grasses can take some time to really get established.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good job man. Don't freak out if it doesn't completely take off this year. Sometime warm season grasses can take some time to really get established.
Good to know. What are the odds that I'll have to throw more seed down later on down the road, or isn't that really necessary?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good to know. What are the odds that I'll have to throw more seed down later on down the road, or isn't that really necessary?
It just depends on how well it takes off. If it's a well established stand you won't have to reseed at all.

As far as fertilizer goes, you kinda have to be careful putting too much Nitrogen down because it'll encourage weed growth, and warm season grasses are pretty poor competitors with weeds early on. WSGs can grow on pretty shitty soil as long as it's well drained.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It just depends on how well it takes off. If it's a well established stand you won't have to reseed at all.

As far as fertilizer goes, you kinda have to be careful putting too much Nitrogen down because it'll encourage weed growth, and warm season grasses are pretty poor competitors with weeds early on. WSGs can grow on pretty shitty soil as long as it's well drained.
I'll probably hold off on the fertilizer, I did read that about wsg being poor competitors with weeds.