Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Planting food plots....Timing?

Kaiser878

ohio
Can you plant a clover plot of a Buck Forage oats plot in early august???

When do most of you guys plant your turnips? August?

I have never really fiddled with plots to much before. I am thinknig of messing with some this year though. I do not really intend on them working. I jsut wanna see if I can get one to grow or not. I know plenty of people in my area that run plots and they really arent that effective in my area. Considering I am surrounded by crop land. What has everyone had the best luck with?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Plant the BFOs sometime between the last week of August to the second week of September... Just try to time it so that you get a good shower within a day or so of planting. You can plant clover right along with it at the same time, but the clover won't really take off good until the following spring. This is actually ok... because while the clover is establishing its root system, the lush new BFOs will draw the deer and help "protect" the clover. Plant your turnips in either late July or early August... again, try to time it with a rain shower.

You really can't go wrong with oats, man... especially with buck forage oats... they love that shit.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I planted oats last year and had good success with them.

I would suggest trying to plant brassicas such as turnips in your area. It might take a few years for the deer to take to them, but once they do they will nail them even in ag areas during the late winter.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Got 3 bags of oats to plant myself! Waiting til the first of Sept. and waiting to see if I get this new property. Like JB said always time it with rain, reguardless what you plant.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We planted our oats late August last year. They were 12-15" tall at season opener. Worked out about perfect and the deer were loving them. Once they get taller, it doesn't seem like they are used as much.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Plant the BFOs sometime between the last week of August to the second week of September... Just try to time it so that you get a good shower within a day or so of planting. You can plant clover right along with it at the same time, but the clover won't really take off good until the following spring. This is actually ok... because while the clover is establishing its root system, the lush new BFOs will draw the deer and help "protect" the clover. Plant your turnips in either late July or early August... again, try to time it with a rain shower.

You really can't go wrong with oats, man... especially with buck forage oats... they love that shit.

What he said...