Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

picking corn

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
the corns coming off as i type this at too of my best farms. gotta decide where too go tonight after work, i think i got it figured out im wanting to hunt about 200 yards away from the last field that will be picked, its always a nice funnel and i think anything that comes out of that field will cross right at that stand,but i guess it depends on what end of the field they start on also, any suggestions?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Good luck! I tried that last weekend and never even saw a deer, either night. I thought for sure they would be run over to me, but no such luck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems the farmers can be random at times. I am seeing very random picking today. I thought they were only picking the high spots in the fields. Then they moved and picked an entire field. Then they only did along the road. I think this farmer is drunk.

If your farmers start on one side and work their way towards you, I think you could be in for a good sit. Best of luck!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
few guys around here are hitting the outside rows and opening things up. Depends if they are picking up moisture or not whether they stay in a particular area. We've had a few loads in today around 23-24% moisture.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Corns starting to come off around here pretty quickly. Although I talked to a guy two days ago that said his corn was still around 30% or higher.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Have seen very limited amount of corn coming off in our area so far, but by the looks of it, it shouldn't be long if we don't get a whole lot of rain tomorrow.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah, I figured it was still going to be a while for us. We are at around 24-30% in my neck of the woods. Most won't pick for a good while...why pay to dry it if you don't have to?

epe

Lancaster
Just saw a Nice buck walking the cut corn line of a field.. Couple hundred yards away but could see he had s tall rack on him..

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Yeah, I figured it was still going to be a while for us. We are at around 24-30% in my neck of the woods. Most won't pick for a good while...why pay to dry it if you don't have to?

Lots of "experts" say 24% is the ideal moisture for combining. Supposedly less header loss then with drier corn.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Well I saw a few one little buck they picked around 90 acres at that property they don't seem too worried about the moisture didn't get a chance too talk to them tho. The other place that was being picked is all down too about 150 acres total there so at least I can't blame the corn being on when I don't see deer