Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pere Marquette & other Lake MI Tributaries

hunna771

Its been forever since i've been on TOO due to a broken lap top. :smiley_depressive:

MY grandparents own a cabin in Irons Michigan, 30 minutes from Baldwin. I asked them if a friend and i could go up there for a portion of our spring break up there fly fishing for trout, my grandpa thought it was a great idea and he was stoked. My grampa(Papa) continued to call and text me at least 4 times a week for the 3 weeks before the trip. But Zak and i were more excited than him.

We planned on leaving on April 8th, Monday morning around 7. Instead we left on sunday. we got to the cabin by 11:30 p.m. By the time we had the water hooked up, turned on and running we were close to 2 a.m. Zak and i went to bed and got up around 9 a.m

Day 1
We got up at 9 a.m. We walked up the sidewalk to the cabin and had a quick breakfast. Papa dropped Zak and i off at the Pere Marquette. We fished for 2 hours. i had caught 1 small rainbow trout, Zak hadn't caught anything. We were gonna leave at 3. it was 2:30. If you fly fish, you know you sometimes carry 1 fly of a certain type? well i did that unfortunately and i decided to try it, and of course i started killin' the brown trout with it. 1 fly, last half hour. It was a bitter sweet deal. I caught 7 or 8 nice sized brown in the final minutes. We couldn't keep any fish we caught because of the restrictions in the are in which we were fishing...:smiley_depressive:
If my memory serves me correct, we went back to the cabin, had lunch and tried fishing at the little manistee. What a waste, we saw a couple small rainbows but thats it.

Day 2
We got up and had breakfasts at the same time as the day before. With the luck we had the day before, we went back to the pere marquette. We saw a lot of steelies on the gravel but couldn't/ wouldn't try to catch any. Our rods were too light...:smiley_depressive: We caught 2 snakes and a turtle lol no fish. We went back to the cabin and rode the fourwheelers and chilled out there for the rest of the day.

Day 3
We went to the tippy dam in hopes of catching some steel head. we brought our heavier fly rods too! We were not prepared at all. so we spent 3 hours getting frozen and wet in the dam. no fish. it sucked. We got back to the cabin and had a huge bon fire since it was our last night there.

Day 4
We were packed up by 3 and lleft by quarter after. I think we all didn't want to leave, but we wanted to get home at the same time. We had a great time! Thanks Papa for a great time, i hope we can go up there again soon!:smiley_clap::smiley_bril:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like a great time dude! But you have to learn the first rule of forums: THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!! :smiley_clap:

hunna771

browntrout3.jpgbrowntrout2.jpgcabin1.jpgbrowntrout1.jpgperemarquette.jpgcabin.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like a great place and sounds like a great time! Congrats. Those are some memories you will really appreciate when you are older. Time with a friend fishing at the cabin, and more importantly is the time with your Papa! good stuff man!