Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pathetic...

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
C'mon man! I'm an innocent bystander here.

Besides, Moundy... you're the one that seen his pee pee in the shower after gym class while you play ball tag.

Cotty you're never innocent, and yeah i know..no wonder the poor kid has anger issues..he has a form of "little mans disease"

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jesse I have been reading through this over the past two days and can see that you are genuinely frustrated. I first off want to say how much you and Greg have helped me over the past three years as far as hunting goes. From the days back on OS to the birth of TOO, it was you two that I really learned a lot from, and it was you two that really earned my respect quickly. I would say after meeting you guys and reading your threads my level of seriousness about hunting in general and bowhunting went from a 3 or 4 to an easy 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.

If you are done with it then you are done with it. If that is the season of life you are in then so be it, but I find that very hard to believe. It sounds like you have no wind in your sails and are stranded out in the middle of a dismal ocean right now. The wind may stop blowing on occasion but it never stops blowing forever. I think you already know one of the things that has you pulling your hair out as you have mentioned how much of a catch 22 cameras can be. As I have read through this I think the other thing that has become bitter sweet (and the sweet is pretty much gone) is the stories that you are creating through these deer. All be it I have very much enjoyed all the stories of all the deer that you pursue, but I think you need to have that relentless pursuit not about a deer, but just deer in general.

I know that you are a woods and country loving boy from the hills of SE Ohio. Get back to your roots and try and remember why you got hooked on deer and bowhunting to begin with. That was when it was fun and before it developed into what it has become for you. I personally just love to be in the woods, and bowhunting is the easiest excuse I have to spend as much possible time in the woods for four months out of the year. And through that vehicle I have developed relationships and memories that I shall carry to my grave.

All in all in my heart I don't think you are done. Beaten bruised and broken, MAYBE, but the nice thing about those are you can always come back from being beaten, bruised, and broken. :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree. That was a good post.

As for Moundy and Diablo, what the heck are you two doing playing in the locker room showers together? Buncha queers. lmao

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Jesse, I can kinda relate to your frustration. I am still new to bow hunting or at least I FEEL I am. I can't relate to the amount of time and running large amounts of cameras that you do. I can relate with the big picture of not connecting with a Buck or even a deer of any kinds for that matter. I have prior commitments I made that take priority over hunting, Wife, Kids, Work and FOOTBALL. That last one eats away at my hunting the most, and the reason I haven’t been on TOO that much lately. If I do not connect with a deer here in the late season it will be two years since my last "successful" hunt. I have thought in my head many times is this really worth it, is the money, frustration, and the work REALLY worth it? I have thought about many times as I sit in the January weather that feels like -15 below and don't see a dang deer all day. I would like to think I could be successful but I am starting to doubt myself as well, I just seem to jump into the game late and try to make up for lost time with my kids and while sitting days on end without seeing deer does start to weight heavy on a man's mind. I thought about giving it up for a couple years until things calm down and kids are a bit older but my biggest fear is that I won't be able to get back into the sport that means a lot to me when I feel the time is right. When things are going good and you’re successful it’s easy to push those little doubts to the side but when you are down in the dumps those little doubts turn into mountains of adversity. I have a couple quotes that seem to help me keep pushing forward: There is no education like adversity! And Good fortune and bad are equally necessary to man, to fit him to meet the contingencies of this life. I know you don’t want to hear the whole kumbaya bullshit, but I just wanted to let you know there are others that can relate to what you are feeling and sometimes that helps you think a little clearer. I ask my students everyday how their day is going and if they don’t say “great”, I remind them they woke up this morning and that makes for a great day. Some of the guys on here have told ya to do what makes you happy and at the end of the day you have to sit back and ask yourself “ what means the most to me”, in my life it means God, Wife, Kids, Family, Friends, Players, Students, Work, Others, Hunting. This list will change many times over my life span, but for right now I just try to make hunting a fun “thing” to do and try not to put too much weight to it, but some day I will have the time and resources to make it a priority in my life, but for now it’s just something I enjoy to do and I am ok with that. Not sure if this makes any sense or means anything thing to ya but just remember…….. In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends.

Ok enough of that pussy talk, Did anyone see those bowl games damn!!!!?

Last edited:

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I agree. That was a good post.

As for Moundy and Diablo, what the heck are you two doing playing in the locker room showers together? Buncha queers. lmao

Well I was in there with diablo's mom, idk why he showed up. Kinda wierd, but I guess if he's into that kinda stuff it's whatever.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Jesse.....hang up the cameras and just HUNT!! I did this last year after multiple cameras, food plots, corn piles out the ass, and every gimmick you could think of took all the fun out of hunting. It is nice to know what's on your property, but it gives you higher expectations that are sometimes not achievable. This year I did not run a single camera, had no food plot, and put a minimal amount of corn out. This was my best season by far. The buck I shot isn't a BBBC, a P&Y, or a B&C....but I am proud as hell of it. I will be Doing the same thing this year. Just knowing that a huge buck could walk out that I have never seen is worth way more than all the money you will save by not doing all the other crap. It will be worth it. Trust me. We will have to get together and go kill some geese......that will fix all wounds!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good advice Guys... not much to add after Steve & Treemonkey's posts. But I will...

Jesse, not so sound like some philosophical bong smokin' hippie, but I try to look at season's like this as part of the journey. My season from a dead critter body count sucks compared to last year, and pretty much every other season up to this point. If I judge success on that then I've failed miserably. But I don't. I try to keep a bigger picture perspective and appreciate everything that I have been able to do outdoors. I've spent time with friends, met some new friends along the way, have taken both of my kids along more times this year than ever, and I've had my share of alone time with nothing more than fresh air and my thoughts. Do I get frustrated, hell yes I do, especially when I sacrifice so much to do what I do. But I'm still thankful to be able to do what I do because I know that eventually things will turn around. I mean, odds are they have to at some point, right?!lmao

Good luck on your journey buddy.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
The only real effort i put into deer hunting that consistently insures me of taking big bucks every year is to Hunt in areas that require extreme amounts of physical strain to hunt. It's physically strenuous to get into my areas and its a nightmare to drag anything out...This is where my effort is put forth into hunting and this ideology has always givin me consistent oppurtunities.

I dont own any land..I dont lease any land...I dont put forth any effort into food plots..bait stations and anything else along those lines. ...While all these things can insure success and are excellent ways to kill deer, it can also be setting one up for huge let downs when success doesnt occur because of the huge financial/time investments.

If success does not occur for me, its Ok because i dont have the hugh financial and time investments into my deer hunting... and on the flip side..When success does occur, the acheivement feels much sweeter for me because i dont have those huge financial investments.

There's lots of ways to look at this but i enjoy Putting all my attention and energy getting into areas noone wants to hunt because of its physically demanding location. Big bucks are not stupid..They are squeezed into these areas because they are not bothered and find a certain amount of security. This is how i appproach deer hunting. It is the policy i live by and its the policy i can take anywhere and have good oppurtunities for success without the big letdowns.

I'm older than alot of you guys and i have quite a few years under my belt chasing whitetails..but this is what gives me my success year after year. My style is not for everyone and it may seem silly to most but its defintely Something to think about.

Last edited:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Nope.. I'm Not awesome..Im just a guy that loves to deer hunt and has a little knowledge about something that would like to share it amongst fellow hunters to maybe help them in their future hunts. If it works for me, it can work for anyone.

That's all.

mrex

*Supporting member*
The only real effort i put into deer hunting that consistently insures me of taking big bucks every year is to Hunt in areas that require extreme amounts of physical strain to hunt. It's physically strenuous to get into my areas and its a nightmare to drag anything out...This is where my effort is put forth into hunting and this ideology has always givin me consistent oppurtunities.

I dont own any land..I dont lease any land...I dont put forth any effort into food plots..bait stations and anything else along those lines. ...While all these things can insure success and are excellent ways to kill deer, it can also be setting one up for hugh let downs when success doesnt occur because of the hugh financial/time investments.

If success does not occur for me, its Ok because i dont have the hugh financial and time investments into my deer hunting... and on the flip side..When success does occur, the acheivement feels much sweeter for me because i dont have those hugh financial investments.

There's lots of ways to look at this but i enjoy Putting all my attention and energy getting into areas noone wants to hunt because of its physically demanding location. Big bucks are not stupid..They are squeezed into these areas because they are not bothered and find a certain amount of security. This is how i appproach deer hunting. It is the policy i live by and its the policy i can take anywhere and have good oppurtunities for success without hugh letdowns.

I'm older than alot of you guys and i have quite a few years under my belt chasing whitetails..but this is what gives me my success year after year. My style is not for everyone and it may seem silly to most but its defintely Something to think about.

For years you've told us that your secret to success was sitting in one logical spot, dark to dark for days on end and letting other hunters push deer to you...never a mention how hard these areas are to get to. Have you changed your strategy?

Also...is "hugh" code for "huge?"