Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Outdoorsfellar's Outdoor Journal .....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went back out this am to my groundblind behind the shed. The activity coming from the Lot, cutting across my neighbors & then into the bigger wodds has been outstanding, according to my cams. With my doe out of the way I wanted to see if Mr Freaky would come thru... he did not. At 700, I had two does, the same two that walked right up to me last week come from the Lot , cross the driveway & walk right by me & on into the woods. An hr later I had another doe do the same thing right after my neighbor came back home from getting a newspaper down at the gas station. I was dumb enough NOT to be watching where she came from because a decent buck was following. I didn't see him until he crossed the drive & at 1st I was going to let him pass, but he looked my way & I got giddy. I shot at the only opening I had as he passed a brush pile I ended up missing. My other trail cams proved that before I found the bolt from the xbow. As I was later walking out of the house to recheck the area, there was another doe just coming out of the Lot, watching me. The activity is very promising & I can't wait until the morning. Here's my views from inside, with the 1st being the direction I made my attempted shot, all left to right .....

Thickett behind my place .... the deer were going that way

My neighbors house ......

Looking towards the Lot .... the deer came from this view

It probably seems odd to be hunting between two houses, but they're far enough apart to forget they're even there & the lay of the land is good. As long as the deer are here, I shall be TOO. Here's a few of my stats :

Number of bucks seen .... 1
Number of does seen ..... 12
Number of does shot ..... 1
Number of hours out ..... a fair amount
Number of barking dogs ..... lots
Number of leaf blowers .......a few
Number of lawn mowers ..... a few
Number of times shitting in the woods before I could make it back home .....none so far

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great read Kevin & congrats on getting the doe out of the way!! Looking forward to some dead buck pics next. Good luck out there !!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is pretty much nothing about nothing. Sometimes I take my Moultrie Re Action Cam along with me when I go hunting. Sometimes I even remember to turn it on. This morning, I saw a few does for my morning sit. These particular three good sized does came from Lot down towards the corner before coming out. I was really hoping there would be a buck following. The lead doe decided to stay on the other side of the drive & they all ended up going up along the old fence line before going back into the woods. The time is wrong since I forgot to change the hour back...

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I got out this morning @ 6a & already I was receiving a mms pic that deer were coming out of the Lot towards my pop up as I was smoking up. There was quite a bit of action during the night like I had hoped, so I was feeling really good about today. All I had was three does come past @ 0820 with the last one being my resident qimpy doe. She has a front leg she can't use & for the last four years, my cams have been capturing her & her offspring. I always hope no one shoots her, but I don't know how much longer she'll be around. Today was my first actual eyeball sighting of her that I recall. The winds picked up & went in @ 1030. I went back out @ 2:30 to one of my ground blinds. I had to listen to my neighbor back down below me use his leaf blower for over an hour. I really wanted to scream. While sitting there, I noticed one of the inlaws at my neighbors setting up a decoy about 100 yards out in front of me. He had no idea I was there, probably thinking I was in my pop up. I decided to move & cut up & over to his flank. That would be more ideal, so I could cut off any approaching buck headed his way. He ended up rattling as well, but there was no movement anywhere I could tell, until I got home & started cooking when my mms cam sounded off of a doe going into the Lot.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I 've been out in the pop up all these mornings & I'm just getting a few does & an occasional buck come thru. It's just never the right buck. Night time activity is good. The same for this morn, one doe before good light & then a lil buck. Nothing afterwards. I'm going to go back out behind up into woods tonight in a bit. That is just TOO good of a trail to bypass. Even on the ground it'll be terribly windy ... it should die down some when darkness approachess. I'm just a big panzy when it comes to wind but since I know others are out, I gotta go too. Good luck to all !

Ok, I went out for this evening. ..... the wind, the wind & more wind.

Last edited:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I didn't go out this morning, even though I set my alarm. I'm a pussy when it comes to the wind. I needed the sleep anyhow. I turned on my phone & a buck had walked past my pop up after daylight hit. He wasn't big, but I cursed myself just the same. I did go out this evening where I was last night. The wind died & I thought for sure I'd hear something walking about down the hill... or somewhere at least, but nuttin. I'll be back in the pop up in the am, as I'm almost certain that's where it's gonna happen. It's only a matter of time unitl it's the right buck hanging out with the does that come by. Night time activity, even in that wind was good.