Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Our Ohio Knife Law.......SMH

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Can’t we even carry a knife to protect ourselves these days or do the criminals get the edge on us in that department TOO?

We wanted to get our girls each a 4” folding knife to carry for protection. Talk about BS regulations?!?!? WOW!!!

What are your thoughts and suggestions on the topic?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Wait a minute.. You can carry a concealed handgun... BUT, Ohio has screwy knife laws?

Wmiller07

Remember I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that if the clip is visible than it is not considered concealed. Also Ohio looks at intention of carry which is very vague. I generally keep my blades under 4" so if I ever have to use it in a defensive situation tit doesn't look as intimidating.

These knife laws are true of almost every state. Knife laws are even more stupid than gun laws. Second If a person has a ccw why do you care what type of knife they have or how they carry it. They can legally conceal a gun. A ccw should negate all knife laws. I know your daughter are under 21 so that rules out a permit.

I just want to mention a 3.5 to 4 inch blade makes a really poor self defense weapon. Its better than nothing but hand to hand fighting with a knife a really shitty situation. I would prepare them for the reality of how serious and scary it is to engage someone in hand to hand combat.

Like wmiller said a visible pocket clip will please most police officers definition of in plain sight.

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I carry a four inch blade cold steel recon one everywhere. Daughter plays vollyball so i have been to a lot of schools with cops. The knife is easy to see since it's clipped and has a lanyard attached. When talking to cops or game wardens I always say I'm ccw and have a pistol and knife on me. Not once have any asked to see either.

Last edited: