Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Our new addition

buckstar25

T-county
I'll post more when I get the tapatalk app., but we are pretty excited about the new tractor we got for the property. I kinda found it by accident and old my dad about it, he went and checked it out and it's what he has been lookin for and price was right so he bought it. It is a Yanmar 186D, the thing is an absolute workhorse, don't let the size fool you this thing is all go! Perfect for maintaining the trails and will be a much needed help in the management aspect of our property. Here is a link to a couple videos I took while testing the brush hog out. Like I said, I will update the pics later and use this thread to update the work we have done.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUhtwqonkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63aD0RfhmV8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

buckstar25

T-county
It is a smooth little tractor and has a ton of power, the one thing I have read is that the low end is not real good as far as torque but the 3 cylinder diesel is meant for high rpm work. I try and keep it 2300 or so when running the mowers. It has 2 PTO speeds 540/1000 rpm, 4WD, lockin differential, and cut brakes. Included int he price we got a blade, roller, spreader, and a dump trailer all of which will get put to good use! The only thing I have seen is the turf tires are gonna give us a little problem but I think we can manage, and replacing them is not in the budget right now. I'm like a little kid with the thing though, so far I have only put 4 hrs in it, mainly brush hogging out food plot area and trails, haven't worked up the nerve to go up the hills yet.

buckstar25

T-county
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339554206.123388.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those little tractors are often over looked. You can pick them up for a fraction of the price of a JD or Kubota and they are not too bad. I remember seeing them for $2500 and under quite frequently several years ago when I was shopping. I just needed something a tad bigger for how I was going to use it.

buckstar25

T-county
Yes they seem to be in high demand now, the tractor has low hours and was well kept. Just saw one on Craigslist or eBay for 6500.00!! We had a 9N before and that thing was just not practical for hauling back and forth (since the thieves can't leave our place alone we have to trailer everything). I am looking for a tiller for it now, preferably 4' and am in the process of trying to come up with a way to hook out David Bradley attachments up to the 3 pt.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Buckstar- I just realized that may have been 2 tractors back when I saw several of them. Might have been 10yrs ago when I was seeing them at that price. Even at $6500 they are thousands cheaper than comparable models.

buckstar25

T-county
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340129508.315080.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340129534.202528.jpg

After a week of Amine was sprayed, I swear that stuff is only good for killing ivy and multi-flora rose!! This will eventually be the food plot and is where I was running the brush hog for the you tube link.

buckstar25

T-county
Makin quick work of our gas line. So far we have put 7 hours on it and have no complaints. 2 gallons of Glyophosphate and the plot will be ready to plant in August.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340584740.489544.jpg

He's in there, mowed the bottom half of the upper right of way.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340584784.536700.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad it is working out well for you. Sounds like you are making good use of the new machine!

buckstar25

T-county
Jesse, that's just the area we shoot. Tr plot is in 13 acre piece that was clear cut 8 yrs ago. You can see the pics above these, it's the post I talke about spraying the Amine....

buckstar25

T-county
Had a scary day yesterday while using the tractor. Almost flipped it when I got too far inside on a bank and the 6' mower kicked downhill dragging the ass end with it. Now I am sliding sideways down the bank, thank goodness I didn't engage the differential lock, I just turned the wheels slightly down the bank and rode it out.

Broke a ramp loading it onto the trailer.
Bent a set of steel ramps trying to load it.

Transmission in my F250 overheated due to check valve hanging up. Spewed fluid all over exhaust sending a spy hunter like smoke screen back to all te cars behind me!

We did get a plot reseeded though! :)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Yanmars are good little tractors, they used to make a bunch of the small Deeres, not sure if they still do. Deere still uses their engines in small tractors. Lot of the Yanmars are "gray-market" tractors and that concerns some people but I don't think it's much of an issue.

buckstar25

T-county
Sam, yeah it's a real workhorse. Ours is not a grey market. The 186d was American marketed so parts are relatively cheap and I can get them just about any Deere dealer. Now finding someone to work on them isn't so easy.

buckstar25

T-county
Picked up a 4' tiller for the Yanmar, gonna till plot tomorrow, I know it's lay but I gotta see this thing work and we got 50lbs of oats to throw out. Will have video and pics tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346466832.521114.jpg