Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions on this buck

TheShaff

some advice as well. I would suggest trying to check your cameras more frequently.

You pulled that card on 11-14 and now you are huntin a deer on 12-26. That deer very easily could have just been crushing through the area via the rut. Did you get any pictures of him recently?

Also Chad is right, deer are back in bed in the mornings during this time of the season. Please don't shy away from hunting early season in Nov!

Best of luck bud!
My camera unfortunately died and I had no idea, I was working 3am to 3pm until around a week ago so I didn't hunt at all but I'm going to get more batteries today and should have it back up and running!

TheShaff

These guys don't know your situation. If he's moving in the mornings then get in there and kill him.
From all I have seen this season no deer move in the food plot during the daylight hours at all so that's why I have no idea what I should do. I have around 70 hunt able acres but around 55 of these acres are open feilds which we use to plant during the crop season. I'm honestly lost on what to do hunting wise.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
From all I have seen this season no deer move in the food plot during the daylight hours at all so that's why I have no idea what I should do. I have around 70 hunt able acres but around 55 of these acres are open feilds which we use to plant during the crop season. I'm honestly lost on what to do hunting wise.

I agree with diablo, that is if you are seeing him the morning.

Also do you know where they might bed? Don't focus on food unless we get a major winter blast. What is planted in your food plots currently?

TheShaff

I agree with diablo, that is if you are seeing him the morning.

Also do you know where they might bed? Don't focus on food unless we get a major winter blast. What is planted in your food plots currently?
Well since my dad owns his own seed business we make our own food plot mix, this one has sugar beets, turnips, kale, rape seed, ladino clover, medium red clover, chikory, and there's one more ingredient that I forgot. I have no idea if they're bedding on my property or on the neighbors because they happen to have a large source of water where as we do not.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
sounds like a good mix for late season. Good luck with it if the weather breaks. I would study google earth and try to see if you can locate a thicket. Deer like to bed in the thick stuff. Try to setup between food and that area, catch them moving possibly before dark.

TheShaff

sounds like a good mix for late season. Good luck with it if the weather breaks. I would study google earth and try to see if you can locate a thicket. Deer like to bed in the thick stuff. Try to setup between food and that area, catch them moving possibly before dark.

that's the main area I hunt but I have this whole green area as our land uploadfromtaptalk1451152756191.jpguploadfromtaptalk1451152639986.jpg

Last edited:

jlane

dunn nc
this time of the year i would go in (especially with rain to wash away scent) and find the trails follow them about 100 to 200 yds back,and set up, should be easy to see as leaves are worn down,heavely used are probally does, look for slightly used trails and put a camera up never know what has slipped in for some food,also look for briar thickets this time of the year, im seeing deer feeding in them early,good luck, also bottoms on windy days

TheShaff

this time of the year i would go in (especially with rain to wash away scent) and find the trails follow them about 100 to 200 yds back,and set up, should be easy to see as leaves are worn down,heavely used are probally does, look for slightly used trails and put a camera up never know what has slipped in for some food,also look for briar thickets this time of the year, im seeing deer feeding in them early,good luck, also bottoms on windy days
How do you hunt the briar thickets? I have a large area of briar between 2 island of trees where they clear out trees every so often for the power lines that run over top of it.

jlane

dunn nc
look close ,bet there is a trail leading completely thru from one side to the other, closest tree with a climbing stand