Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day!

Diablo54

Outside
Nice job getting on some birds Zack. Way to show the self control! First year hunting here, but i have vowed to eat my tag before taking a jake. Foolish? Probably. Time will tell I guess.

IMO yes foolish Phillip. Haha. There all the same. I don't understand why people worry about the size of the beard size of the turkey. It's not about the kill. It's more fun having one hammer away at you and being able to seal the deal at the end makes it a little sweeter. I'll still shoot a jake of I call it in myself. I don't care what people think. Meat is meat in te turkey world IMO.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good stuff Zach! You'll be glad you passed up the shot IMO. I did last year on the opener like Huck and didn't get another opportunity either the remainder of the year but I have no remorse. Goodluck from here on out with your longbeard quest with a bow. Awesome stuff if you do.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO yes foolish Phillip. Haha. There all the same. I don't understand why people worry about the size of the beard size of the turkey. It's not about the kill. I would certainly agree with this. If it was, I wouldn't have eaten my buck tag last year. Taking a mature doe on the last day was just as big an accomplishment for me. Knowing it was going to feed a family I gave it to made it even better. Sticking it out to the last minutes of the season to accomplish it was a test for myself. There was a whole lot of "not killing" that took place in between. hahaIt's more fun having one hammer away at you and being able to seal the deal at the end makes it a little sweeter. I'll still shoot a jake of I call it in myself. I don't care what people think. Meat is meat in te turkey world IMO.

I might change my mind at a later date Taylor. For now, i am starting out with the goal of a bearded turkey or none. I agree with you 100% though. It is not all about the kill. For this reason, I am willing to hold out. All the time in the outdoors is what it is about. Taking a bearded turkey would just be a bonus.

Kaiser878

ohio
Good stuff Zach! You'll be glad you passed up the shot IMO. I did last year on the opener like Huck and didn't get another opportunity either the remainder of the year but I have no remorse. Goodluck from here on out with your longbeard quest with a bow. Awesome stuff if you do.

I shot a good tom 3 years ago with my bow....but havent since...I enjoy using my bow...it does hinder you though when it comes to running and gunning...but it is super cool when it does happen though

Huckleberry Finn

I might change my mind at a later date Taylor. For now, i am starting out with the goal of a bearded turkey or none. I agree with you 100% though. It is not all about the kill. For this reason, I am willing to hold out. All the time in the outdoors is what it is about. Taking a bearded turkey would just be a bonus.

Hey bubba, jake's have beards.