Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening Day of Trout Season in N.J.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well Sat. is opening day of trout season here in New Jersey and even with snow predicted the stream banks will be lined with fisherman. This used to be a yearly ritual with me but no more... I can't see standing in freezing water elbow to elbow for hours just to get a spot to catch stoked trout... I believe opening is 8 am and guys are already waste deep at 6 AM.... Blank that... I'm off every day to fish so I'll go mid-week when everyone is working....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good luck

Dustin... Thanks.... But like I said I'll wait till during the week... Streams are stocked during the week also so I'll fish then... Its basically a put and take anyway although some streams have holdover trout... Heres a pic of how most streams will be...

f3f90cb1e03ecede53820eeb7c50fd704b126e16.jpg

Reactions: MoonLab

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Well Sat. is opening day of trout season here in New Jersey and even with snow predicted the stream banks will be lined with fisherman. This used to be a yearly ritual with me but no more... I can't see standing in freezing water elbow to elbow for hours just to get a spot to catch stoked trout... I believe opening is 8 am and guys are already waste deep at 6 AM.... Blank that... I'm off every day to fish so I'll go mid-week when everyone is working....
Good luck.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I have been thinking about doing that in Brookville, Indiana for trout fishing.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Dave... they stock alot around 10 inches but do throw some breeders in pushing 25 inches..

Reactions: giles
Good luck man. They did away with trout season here in georgia. I had the best year of my life last year thought. Countless 17 inchers, one 19, and a 21 inch that was 5 lbs and some change. If you ever get a chance to come to the south cherokee North carolina is the place to fish.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
NJ only stocks rainbow trout....no longer stock brook or brown trout. They claim it was due to some disease in the hatchery. Pennsylvania and NY stock all three varieties.

Yes there was a disease at the Pequest trout hatchery several years ago... I believe it was furunculosis (not sure if I spelled that right)... Since then they have found that rainbow trout are less susceptible to the disease and have therefore cutback or stopped raising rainbows and brookies.... They will still be stocking over a half million trout from what I've heard for anglers.. Stocking of streams throughout the state will continue till around the end of May... Different streams are stocked on different days throughout the week.. Some streams you can fish while they are stocking and others are closed till 5 PM on stocking days... Then again in the fall they stock certain streams... So if you like fishing there are plenty of trout to be caught... In May, turkeys in the morning and rout fishing in the afternoon...

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Yes there was a disease at the Pequest trout hatchery several years ago... I believe it was furunculosis (not sure if I spelled that right)... Since then they have found that rainbow trout are less susceptible to the disease and have therefore cutback or stopped raising rainbows and brookies.... They will still be stocking over a half million trout from what I've heard for anglers.. Stocking of streams throughout the state will continue till around the end of May... Different streams are stocked on different days throughout the week.. Some streams you can fish while they are stocking and others are closed till 5 PM on stocking days... Then again in the fall they stock certain streams... So if you like fishing there are plenty of trout to be caught... In May, turkeys in the morning and rout fishing in the afternoon...
A buddy of mine went last weekend for Pennsylvania’s opening day. Caught brooks, browns and a huge palomino. He said he could see three other palominos in the stream but couldn’t get them to bite. I wish Jersey would start stocking a variety like Pennsylvania does.

Fletch

Supporting Member
J to fair to Dustin.... Does Ohio even have a trout program or trout streams???? Never hear about it... At any rate... My friend fishes Pa. every opening day up near Potter County and someone always catches a nice golden... Pa. stocks some damn nice trout compared to Jersey... But then again it is the Peoples Republic of New Jersey....

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J to fair to Dustin.... Does Ohio even have a trout program or trout streams???? Never hear about it... At any rate... My friend fishes Pa. every opening day up near Potter County and someone always catches a nice golden... Pa. stocks some damn nice trout compared to Jersey... But then again it is the Peoples Republic of New Jersey....

Dustin can’t catch fish in general, he’s snake bit when it comes to fishing. Was hoping BC could maybe give him some pointers but apparently that hasn’t helped either.... Dustin can fall into a barrel of vaginas and come up with a vibrator in his mouth.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Dustin can’t catch fish in general, he’s snake bit when it comes to fishing. Was hoping BC could maybe give him some pointers but apparently that hasn’t helped either.... Dustin can fall into a barrel of vaginas and come up with a vibrator in his mouth.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Fletch

Supporting Member

But that's better than an old stinky carp....NO???

Reactions: "J"

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
LMAO!!!