Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day buck?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Dress warm enough and you won't:D. I love late season hunting!

I would still hunt, just not deer ;)
I could take the boy out just to watch and learn until it got to cold for him and then turn to trapping during the colder part of the season. I will not be shooting any more does off my properties for a few more years and I don't like to do many weekend road trips.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I would have no problems pulling the trigger on a buck early season. I would still hunt the rest of the year it would just be with different goals and probably not as often. Focus would shift to getting a few more kids in the woods. I would be able to put the extra time in other projects like working on Connor's El Camino.

teej89

NE PA

lmao

and heck no I'd put him down without thinking twice. Have the rest of the season to kill a doe or two and to hunt whatever else I wished to hunt.

Had one opportunity and his bigger buddy who I couldn't see busted me and ended up shooting the bigger one opening day of gun.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member

The first buck here is a 14pt wierdo I took opening morning the year Mike Rex got his biggest, I forget what year already. I was about 99% sure I was going to get a crack at him or 3 other ones that were coming under my stand like clockwork every morning. He happened to be the first 1 in that day. The 2nd buck is my biggest. I shot him opening evening of 2010. I seen him twice in velvet. I was confident I would get a chance at him early. Both bucks were still on late summer patterns just the way that the top 3 on my hit list are this year as of last night:smiley_coolpeace: Neither were bittersweet. I had a blast honing my skills on spot and stalk hunting for Does the remaining year and doing a bit more scouting for some of my buddies

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If my target buck gives me a shot he gets an arrow. I have a 4-5yr old 8pt in the 130-140" range who would probably get a pass opening day. Then I would end up eating a tag most likely. Lmao

Work and family have me busier than I have ever been. Finishing early might be a blessing. Cannot believe I just typed that.