Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening Day Buck

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Have any of you killed a buck on opening day? I know that Moundhill did a couple of years ago. Just wondering...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not me, but I blew a chip shot at my number 1 target buck on Oct.2nd two years ago.....mother%#€>%%€!!!!!! Still haunts me!!!!!rotflmao

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I think Mrex did. 218" lol.

Not me, Mike. Got close in 2008. I had my 10 point 140" in just like I planned, but my dumb ass couldn't close the deal. I had him at 20 yards broadside going to my apple pile. I was calm as a cucumber and didn't let him pass by on small sapling. Instead I held to the left of it and caught it a quarter of an inch. I blew the whole deal! I learn a valuable lesson that day.

" good things come to those who wait". Lol

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I killed my buck last year the first night. I knew I wasn't going to have a lot of time to hunt so I wasn't too picky. He was 17 wide but short on mass and tine length g 2s were around 8 inches.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
2 years ago I killed one opening morning, at first light. I got pretty lucky honestly. It was bittersweet too lol, I couldn't hunt the rut, and hold out for a bigger one. But I'm happy with him!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378935469.669817.jpg

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
passed several nice bucks on opening day, would have to be an exceptional buck for me to shoot it. I love being in a tree in November with a buck tag in my pocket.

teej89

NE PA
Never killed one on opening day but last year had a solid 8 come in thru the laurel behind me. He was quartering away at 15yds, I drew and here there was a bigger buck with a crab claw on left side behind him that I did see and he saw me draw and they both bolted. Long story short didn't see em again the rest of archery, then first morning of gun in a different draw, same ridge. I sealed the deal on the bigger buck that busted me opening day of archery. It was a 20yd shot, and I was sitting at the base of an oak tree, pretty awesome being eye level with one that close. A lot different than a treestand.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nope. Bucks I am watching seem to disappear a day or week or so before the season starts. lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Soonest I've ever used my buck tag was Oct 14th.

I was a little lost after using my buck tag that early. It's a long wait until the next year.

Now it's the "Oh shit" buck or nothing. I enjoy a long season and the pursuit.