Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio hunting and NR honest Opinion

at1010

*Supporting Member*
As many of you know I am in sales. I often talk to folks from all over who love to hunt deer. Once you tell ppl your from Ohio, guys eyes light up.

So how do you handle it?!?

Do you share your hunting experiences?
Talk the state down?
Give advice?
Etc?

FYI often times these folks I'm talking too have no effect on the chance I have to close a sale. Often just bsing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I tell them about it. How great the hunting is in small spots and how great it used to be statewide. I caution them that the bucks they see on magazine covers are shot off a bird feeder in Columbus.

I'm not in sales or anything like that but there are plenty of times when talking with an old friend or family member you haven't even talked with in a long time about deer hunting where their eyes light up. For me it's difficult to find that even-keel place when talking to where they don't get the impression that I'm bragging and dangling a carrot vs. them just being involved in a good hunting conversation. Trail camera pictures is the tough one. There are a couple guys that coached in Little League that I always talk with about hunting and soon they start whipping out their phones showing pics. They know me good enough that I will have a few too so soon they ask and even if it's just a decent 2 1/2 year old it's like I have found the Holy Grail. Then again we are talking about Mich. vs. Ohio bucks too. However, even when I tell them our deer (doe) numbers are down on the property and that we have many young bucks they get the impression that I'm trying to down play what we have there because they have the impression Ohio still has a booner behind every tree.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I find my issue to be I am proud to live and own land in ohio. My farm is ok hunting. No huge bucks simply fun decent hunting. I could hunt some awesome places but shooting a big buck in a city just doesn't tickle my fancy.

When talking to guys typically from the east coast they are ate up with hunting. I tell them I'm happy to help them out as much as I can. Typically telling them public land spots, if I know PPL in that area etc.

I just often wonder how others handle this. I never show pictures to anyone.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I deal with this all the time working in WV. I down play it to people who have never hunted here and talk honest with those who have. I never promote the state. Those Columbus bird feeder bucks do a good enough jobs of that...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I deal with this all the time working in WV. I down play it to people who have never hunted here and talk honest with those who have. I never promote the state. Those Columbus bird feeder bucks do a good enough jobs of that...

Jesse I knew your answer before I wrote this post. Hahaha. I tend to agree but I also don't act like our state is equal hunting to freaking NJ.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't either, but only a complete dipshit would think that to start with. So if they do, who am I to convince them otherwise? lmao

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i have friends that come hunt from other states and when i go down there i end up talking to more of there friends when were around i tell them its decent and tell them how it use too be, ive had a couple hint around trying to get me too say come on up but i never do, my friend that goes to tennesse with me invites almost everyone we talk too, he had a guy and his wife come up couldnt get them on deer and wanted me too put them in some of my spots i told him hell no. i told him too quit trying too be a guide and keep his mouth shut. the only place i share pictures is on here i dont send them around to everybody i know.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I tell them about it. How great the hunting is in small spots and how great it used to be statewide. I caution them that the bucks they see on magazine covers are shot off a bird feeder in Columbus.

Ditto.......and to add too it. Primo land access is hard to come by, unless you have really deep pockets! Lol