Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official TOO 2011 Shed Contest

Gordo

Athens County
Nice finds Gordo!

Man, with the amount of time Ive spent looking you'd think I would have a garbage can full by now.

This year is the first ive really been going hard looking and its been great.

Looking for sheds is another great excuse for being out in the woods. Gotta love it.

I'll keep at it till I "need" to be in the woods looking for shrooms and turkeys. :smiley_boogie:

Diablo54

Outside
Dad went out while i was in north carolina and picked up a few sheds.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nice finds your dad made there Diablo. Makes me wonder if he didn't just send you to the beach to snatch your sheds lol. Sounds like something I would do anyway lol.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Gordo..

You need to get in the open timber for sheds this year...Bucks were able to winter in the timber this year due to the acorn crop.

Goodluck sir

Gordo

Athens County
Gordo..

You need to get in the open timber for sheds this year...Bucks were able to winter in the timber this year due to the acorn crop.

Goodluck sir

The places I look are just about all open timber with occasional pockets of thick stuff. Not a whole lot of other options.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Well..That stinks..maybe deer winterd on another prop....Just keep lookin..I gauruntee you will find one

Gordo..

My buddy drove out to Ohio this week and found 3 sheds in his publicland area..All three were found in the open timber..here's a pic of the biggest one. H4 measurement is 7.5 inches..

Gordo..

Before you enter the woods, do alil research ..Here's what i do..First thing..Find out where SUN hits the slopes first thing in the morning..These slopes will attract deer waiting for warmth from the sun during the winter..in which means the chances of finding a shed are greater...Here;s an example...I found 2 sheds on the sunny side of this ridge this year..

goodluck

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Mountianeer,

That shed Whooty found is a nice one. Tell him Congrats. I would have told him on the other site but...well... you know lol.

I know for my place the only place I found any so far was in a wide open cut hay field. I have walked hours in the old growth woods and have found nothing however we do have an abundance of tree rats in this area so that may have something to do with it. I figure they don't let sheds lay very long before it is chewed to bits.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Sure Redcloud..ill tell him..He's having a party tonight and ill let him know..Also..Im gonna score that shed :)..I would have gone with him but i just couldnt get away for 3 days..i have no time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dad likes to sneak out and hunt while im away.

You mean your Dad is screwing off while you are in school? hahhaa

Don't worry, someday you will be able to do it too! I do sometimes.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Got home around 7 last night and wanted to take a ride on the quad. Talked the wife into going, so we rode for a while, then hopped off to look around for some sheds. I'll be damned if the first place we stopped, the wife walks 10 yards from the quad and finds a shed! Don't have any pics, but it was a dandy little shed, probably a first year buck with four points on that side.

Also found a data module off a weather balloon from May of 2008. Got it sent out in the mail this morning.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I found this shed last week right by a bridge along a recently flooded creek. It had to be washed in from upstream somewhere.