Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR, DOW Deer Summits - January 24th

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Not that it would do any good but maybe we should type out a major complaint from TOO NATION. Get everybody to co sign it with their name and county. That we are a force that is out in the woods constantly... let them know some of us have jobs that caused us to travel all around the state .....we are looking for deer that are not there anymore on a regular basis not just in our own backyards.
Probably just wipe their butt with it but we would at least know we tried to spread the message in numbers.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not that it would do any good but maybe we should type out a major complaint from TOO NATION. Get everybody to co sign it with their name and county. That we are a force that is out in the woods constantly... let them know some of us have jobs that caused us to travel all around the state .....we are looking for deer that are not there anymore on a regular basis not just in our own backyards.
Probably just wipe their butt with it but we would at least know we tried to spread the message in numbers.

That's a hell of an idea, Rick!

reo

N.E. Ohio
I'm going to applaud their effort here. They are reaching out with this concept. Unfortunately, I doubt I make the trip. I'm somewhat burned out on the deer discussion, and the properties I hunt are now on the way back up. They are rebounding because of my efforts, and those of my landowners. The DOW has nothing to do with that...

I cannot applaud anything they have done lately, including this. It is 2015, the age of social media and the internet. I see this "reaching out" another smokescreen much like the recent bag limit and season adjustments. Hunters are waking up and are beginning to realize what has been done to the deer herd. If they want to know how we feel they need to look no further than on forums like this or their own facebook page.

This sentence from a recent (1-7-2015) press release makes my blood boil in that they are trying to sucker people into thinking they are pulling back the reins on herd decimation. "Bag limits were reduced in 46 counties prior to the 2014-2015 deer hunting season, and antlerless permits were eliminated in 29 counties." The reality is that there are only 6 out of 88 counties that you cannot legally take 3 does.

I grew up at a time when a deer feeding in the open would cause people to stop their cars and stare. The ODNR that I once applauded brought the population up from almost nothing. We are now headed rapidly in the wrong direction. These meetings are surely another way to justify the current path. When they actually change direction for real and if it is very soon, they will once again have my support.

No, I cannot applaud them for this.

reo

N.E. Ohio

I would be happy to add my name

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Such as.......

Pro or con?

Sorry, not a FBer fellers

There's all kinds of jackasses on there saying that nothing is wrong with the deer herd. One guy the other day said that there aren't as many hunters in the woods LOL. Most people are realizing that there is a population problem though.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I don't know if I want to go or not. After dealing with ODNR double talk for many years about the pistol caliber carbine issue and during that time meeting Joe and getting on board with the deer herd issue and hearing even more blatant double talk.....it just wears on you.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't know if I want to go or not. After dealing with ODNR double talk for many years about the pistol caliber carbine issue and during that time meeting Joe and getting on board with the deer herd issue and hearing even more blatant double talk.....it just wears on you.
im with you there... I may try to go but I need to get through a couple family things first.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Waste my time? Let it fall on dear ears? Not the reason I am not going. I am afraid I would get arrested if I went. Lol

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'll be sure to bring those points up guys, but if people don't get involved nothing will change. As easily as we complain on a forum, it's just as easy for the ONDR and DOW to ignore those complaints. At least you have the chance to look them in the eye at a meeting like this.