Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Deer meetings

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It really isn't the job of individual hunters. As a group, we'll kill every animal we can...that's why we NEED a DOW. However, our DOW has done a poor job in the last 20 years, at least in the area I know about. Therefore, they have lost all credibility with me, and I do my very best to explain my reasoning to everyone I come in contact with locally. It helps, a little, and as more and more are seeing less and less, more get on board. The DOW has lost a lot of credibility through this nonsense, with more than just me!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe will tell us it is not our job as hunters to manage the herd. That job belongs to the ODNR, and we can all see how great a job they are doing.

True. I would.... I say that so that everyone steadfastly remembers this is the DNRs fault, not the hunters. We have to be careful when implying that hunters as a whole have the power to turn it around themselves, because that implies we're to blame for it happening in the first place. Or we had the power to prevent it. The fact is we were lied to and our trust used against us. By the time people woke up it was vastly too late. It's a good idea to self manage, if everyone did it then it would work, the odds of that happening are slim to none and slim left home. It's not how humankind works. We're greedy, and less of something usually makes people go after more of it so they can get it before the next guy, not less.

We will see where it all shakes out. I don't see the DNR pulling back the reins much in the near future. My guess is that in 10 years or so we will be in the shape PA was in a decade or so ago. Then Ohio will try to build the herd back as PA did. The states can't afford to lose all the revenue hunting generates. Only the almighty dollar will make changes that are significant.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Antlerless

2014 - 2015 -22%
2013 - 2014 -16%
2012 - 2013 -1.5%

2011 = 4483
2014 = 3008

38% decline in three seasons.
Not to pick nits but 33 %. I know you like to be accurate.

Denny Malloy likes to knock the DoW down a peg or 2 every chance he gets, they have a history.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Not to pick nits but 33 %. I know you like to be accurate.

Denny Malloy likes to knock the DoW down a peg or 2 every chance he gets, they have a history.

i don't have an issue if he has an ax to grind. it doesn't dampen the truth. I would say any organization centered around a species getting whacked on by the ODNR unnecessarily is probably going to have an ax to grind. I doubt the ruffed grouse society has many positive things to say about ODNR also. If there were grouse tags to sell i'm sure they would get some attention...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
i don't have an issue if he has an ax to grind. it doesn't dampen the truth. I would say any organization centered around a species getting whacked on by the ODNR unnecessarily is probably going to have an ax to grind. I doubt the ruffed grouse society has many positive things to say about ODNR also. If there were grouse tags to sell i'm sure they would get some attention...
Can't get into it on a public forum but it's personal, nothing to do with deer management.