Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

October Hunting

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm hoping you guys can give me a little insight in to hunting Ohio in October. In the past I've always come out in early November for 10-14 days. This year I won't be able to make that happen. I'm looking at a 10 day trip max and the dates that will fit in to my schedule best are 10/15-10/24. Any thoughts on what the deer movement will be like? Is this too early to see any seeking or chasing? Is this smack dab in the middle of the October lull?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That time in my area always seems to be best in the evenings.I really like to start hunting more around Oct 20th.
The bucks seem to start getting a little antsy and get up a little earlier to go feed.
If you have some good acorn trees in the area i would be close to them.

rsmith

Any time in the stand is better than no time! Make the best of it, they are still moving just as much as they were before just is different areas, that may benefit you of hurt you but either way it's well worth it to give it a shot. Last year I had great movment around the 15-18 than it dropped off till November 1st but that could just be my area. I would deffinatly hunt a food source, anywhere where acorns are, edge of a field, or maybe even some trail heading to/from a beading area as last late October here it was about 30 degrees and spitting snow in north eastern ohio.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Push it back another week and I think you'll have a better shot at a mature buck.... just my opinion. I know you said your limited with time but if you can hunt the week leading up to Halloween or put Halloween smack dab in the middle of your week I think you'll be set.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'd love too push it back a little but I need to be home by the 24th. Ideally I'd like to push the whole trip back 6 or 7 days but it doesn't look like that will be an option this year.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'd take a chance and set up as close to bedding area as possible. IMO, this is the time of year near the end of your dates listed that mature bucks start getting a little active. Pray for cold weather

aaronc

dayton
If you could do October 20th to 30th your chances at a good one would be considerably better than the 15th through the 24th in my opinion. looking back at my journal, my top bucks have come on oct 26th,27th, 3oth and 31st. it is like a light switch around that October 25th date. 15th through the 24th is a hair early unless you are scouting intensely and have a particular buck hammered down

To me the October 'lull' depends entirely on the pressure your deer are under and temperature. If the area is flooded with people squirrel hunting, setting stands, deer hunting, etc. then there is a period deer start to lay low up until the rut gets them on their feet. Hot weather is the other thing that will keep them laying low during that period. If you are stuck with those dates then make the most of it.

Big Holla has a good point. My property has no pressure and it is possible to kill a good one in his summer feeding patterns. The fact that your not able to scout in the summer can be a problem. I watched this guy through the summer of 2012 and killed him on the morning of October 13th as he was heading to bed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435273912.626730.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435273944.654787.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hunt when you can hunt buddy and the chips fall where they may. I hate hunting that time period and have replaced treestand time with duck blind time. I'd find the acorns and set up in pinch points leading to those in the evenings and spend morning on travel routes to bedding.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
My brother and his in laws and myself go to south eastern ohio every year at the end of October. We always hunt on public down there and always at least have an opportunity. uploadfromtaptalk1435276174305.jpg
Mine from last year on nov 1st

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I kind of knew the answer before I started this post but I figured I might as well ask the guys who live and hunt there. I'm going to try like hell and push the trip back 4 or 5 days. If I can do that I'm looking at 10/20 - 10/29. From what I'm reading here that's a whole lot better than 10/15-10/24. Damn, life and it's responsibilities always seem to get in the way of anything fun.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Big Holla has a good point. My property has no pressure and it is possible to kill a good one in his summer feeding patterns. The fact that your not able to scout in the summer can be a problem. I watched this guy through the summer of 2012 and killed him on the morning of October 13th as he was heading to bed.View attachment 33164View attachment 33165

I just took a minute and looked at these photos. All I can say is HOLY SH*T that's a corker! Especially for mid-October. Congrats.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
If thats the only time you have ya might as well hunt it . . But those dates would be my last choice to hunt if thats saying anything . Unfortunately, life can be a nuisance when it comes to hunting . But thats life ..lol

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Push it back another week and I think you'll have a better shot at a mature buck.... just my opinion. I know you said your limited with time but if you can hunt the week leading up to Halloween or put Halloween smack dab in the middle of your week I think you'll be set.
^^^^^^^ That