Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Oct 4th Hunt

OhioHunter88

Perry County
A little backstory, my GF and I have been together for going on 3 years now, she is your typical girly girl, she's said a million times she never thought she would ever spend time sitting in a treestand or hunting. I of course have hunted almost my whole life and had talked her into going out and sitting with me, we took it slow and she really enjoyed just watching the deer get that close, Everytime we hunted together in the past two season i had no plans of actually shooting anything when she was with me unless of course it was a giant buck, I just wanted her to get the experience of being out and not have to worry about the shot or what happens after the shot. We decided that this year we were going to change that and see if I could get a kill in front of her, neither of us knew what her reaction would be.. we have of course watched hunting shows together but shes never seen it first hand. As of now she is showing interest in getting her own bow but not actually hunting with yet and I will not push that, Ill let her go at her own pace. She enjoys getting out with me and its another way of us spending time together, because with me having ownership in two business' our alone time is not that high at all.

Onto the story:

So far 2015 has been a pretty good season, couple shooters on trail cam and I passed up this guy last thurs eve at 15 yards
Screenshot_2015-10-05-10-21-30.jpg

Onto yesterday, Oct 4th... This is all on film, but with having to combine the footage and edit I figured I would post screenshots to give you guys the inside info, Ashley and I decided to hunt a tower blind that is located next to the woods and in between a couple fields with small foodplot right in front of it.
Here we are in the blind and ready to hunt
GOPR2847_1443993053945_high.jpg

We had a doe and BB yearling come out into the hay field
entering field.jpg

We watched em feed for awhile and eventually they headed to our small foodplot right in front of us
enter foodplot.jpg

The doe presented a shot at 30 yards, I had already drawn and she took a few more steps and turned quartering to, instead of letting down I decided I was confident I could sneak an arrow in and be alright, you can see the Green nocturnal light in this impact shot
shot.jpg

After the shot I started to get a little worried and feel almost sick due to the lack of penetration I saw as she was running away, I was regretting taking the quartering to shot and thought I had hit the leg honestly, this pick shows alot of arrow hanging out.
runaway.jpg

I had tons of thoughts going through my head, I just messed up on the first deer my GF has ever seen shot, we waited until dark and I saw my nock glowing green out in the field, we headed towards it and when I picked up my arrow I was relieved, there was alot more penetration than what I had thought, we got the blood trail and started the track, blood was looking pretty good... we started to head down and a hill and I keep telling myself that this deer didnt do what I think it did, sure enough I shine my light and there she is floating in the middle of a pretty good sized pond! We had to head back to get the boat and go retrieve her, all in all it turned out to be an awesome night and good memories.
hero shot.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
Hint....keep her your girlfriend and not your wife.

Upon accepting your invitation and ring all that stuff goes away.

You'll be left with a wife at home and a pile of hunting garments for a garage sale.

This is how it all went down for me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

You'll be left with a wife at home and a pile of hunting garments for a garage sale.

Keep them separate lol.... She has her hobbies and you yours..... Nothing good comes outta crossing the two lmao.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great stuff!!! Congrats to you on having it all come together! Hope you can eventually get her into taking the hunting plunge herself! It's very cool that you filmed it TOO!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

:smiley_baby:

My wife still hunts with me and never gives me shit about going. It's just expected that I'll be hunting this time of year. If she's a good woman and you treat her right, a ring and some vows won't change anything unless you guys let it.

Thanks for sharing buddy! Very cool story! And I love the beard!!! Really brings out the Amish in you. lmao