Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not sure what to do

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Steve, I feel for you. He apparently is trying to hunt the whole property and step over the line and see how far he can go. I'd meet him face to face and discuss things.

As for him being on disability and hunting.....that's bullshit but happens all the time these days. I'd let SS know about it as I see it as stealing and fraud. What a POS!

This is a bit bothersome. I understand there are people with true disabilities. I get it. BUT, if my back was so bad I couldn't work I would think hanging stands would be an impossibility. Riding a quad would probably aggrevate it as well. Just makes you scratch your head. I won't judge because I am only hearing part of the story. Not saying you are making it up. Just saying there can be more details you aren't aware of.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If the property is worth hunting, then you need to have a heart to heart with this guy with the landowner present. Just explain your side of things and try to educate him a little. If it goes south, you have other places to hunt. And if the property is not the best place to hunt, just find a spot where he ain't and set up there...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
There are just so many variables to this. I definitely don't want to leave the property. The biggest buck I have eve killed came from this property. It is surrounded by airport, game preserve, and college campus, all which provide safe havens for big bucks. Once rut hits its a hopping property. Just spent time on the county auditors website and this guy is nowhere to be found as far as owning property. So my first impression is that he be mouching off someone. There is the.possibility that he is renting. As there is one house in the area that is owned buy someone that doesn't live there.

The other thing is the whole property is actually 2 properties. Owned by two brothers. One is very level headed the other can blow up on you if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. My thought is that he is either going to piss off brother and hang himself, or piss off brother and hang us both. I know the level headed one will side with brother just to keep family peace rather than let anyone hunt. I have already been down that road and spent 2 years off this property before I could make amends and get back on the property.

I definitely can't just leave it alone, I'm just not sure who to approach first, land owner or possible douches.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I may be jumping the gun a little bit in judgement, but that fact is I hang sets like this all the time, and if my back was bad enough I couldn't work there is no way in he'll I could strap these steps and a stand to a tree.

This set is literally 50-60 yes from my one and only set. Disliking this guy more and more each day.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
My advise is probably a little late however... When 2 men share a block of deer hunting woods, the fair way is to agree to flip a coin to see who goes first. The winner picks his stand location Then the other guy picks one and so on back and forth. You can agree on 2 stands or 4 or whatever EVEN number of stands. No more. Otherwise it'll just turn into a pissing match...

If he has 3 to your 1, I would probably have a talk w/ him about crowding you this year but next season, we do it this way. Run it by the land owner in a friendly way first so you have the backed assurance the guy wont be pulling this shit next season.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That's a great idea Jim. The only issue I have and I may be off base, but I've been hunting here for a long time and my set has been there for over a year. The first conversation we ever had he talked about how where I was setup is where he was seeing deer last year. He even setup a stand and went on the neighbors property that doesn't allow hunting. Even then he was within 50-60 yds of me. A couple weeks ago he told me about how many deer (20 or more) coming out of the woods. Yet he is setting up on the opposite end of the property. The last phone call I got he asked if I was going to move my set. I told him no it is a great observation stand and I was going to keep it there. That's when he said he was going to hang in the locusts tree right by me.

I don't know, I am thinking about just letting go this season and just lease it next year. I know the owner well enough we would probably come to a agreement.

teej89

NE PA
Dude sounds like a douche, I'd say wait till he hangs all his stands and sets his blind up then go yank em all and pull yours and never look back hahahaha!

But on a serious note you gotta sit down with this guy face to face have a brew, scotch, shine, coffee, whatever floats your boat and tell him we're working together on this. Get out maps show different stand set ups and tell him if you're both hunting the same day the one stand is off limits cuz it's ALWAYS been your go to honey hole stand. And tell him to just ocmmunicate when he's hunting and what stand he'll be in. Set up kill rules, no bucks smaller than xxx" and only x amount of does a year.

If you can't beat em, join em.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Punch him in the nut sack and tell him to stay the hell away from your spots..... Or you could do what Jim said.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The sad thing is, this fuggin POS will be hunting everyday drawing a SSI check and Steve will be hunting around his work schedule and such.......That BLOWS, but happens a lot more these days!

Since there is nothing you can do about this I'd meet him face to face and settle this and remind him, YOU WERE THERE FIRST!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Sadly it sounds like no agreement will be reached with this guy because, 1. He apparently does not know that hanging a stand 50 yards from someone elses is not cool. 2. You have been hunting there longer than him and he should be asking you when it's cool TOO hunt and where. 3. The mother fugger just has TOO much time on his hands and won't listen anyway. You'll be at work, and he'll be hunting your spot spooking all the deer off. I would still try and talk with this douchebag and explain hunter etiquette even though it will probably fall on deaf ears. I would take a dump on his seat though if I were you.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
You're kind of screwed. He's going to hunt the crap out of it and mess it up. You cant put hair cut scraps or stinky socks by his stand as its to close to yours thus messing you up too. I think the best thing is to role with it and lease it on the cheap with the landowner for next year. Just be sure the lease is exclusive. The guy sounds like a real ahole! It sucks you have to deal with that Steve.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
dang man, what a doucher. I couldn't take it, or be as nice as you. I would be telling him that you have been there forever, and that setting up 50 yds away from your stand is pretty much a dick move.

I really don't know where to start on this one.

First thing I will say is that being on disability and hunting does not make one a POS. If it does, I guess I am a POS. I know there are many out there cheating the system, but not all of us. Some people have more drive to do the things they love to do than others and find ways to get it done. Until you are in someone elses shoes I'd think before I type. No hard feelings towards anyone, just making a point.

Secondly, I feel your pain with sharing the property, the very reason I bought my own. Just because you have hunted a property for a while does not mean you can run the show. That being said, I do feel that the new guy should be considerate. I'd sit down with the guy and see what he is all about. Maybe he needs some educating. But, if he has that many stands at his disposal I'd venture to say he is not new at the game.

The only way that I see a guy can have property to himself is to buy or lease. Otherwise you are always at the mercy of the landowner.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What we're saying Dick is that anyone cheating the system is a POS, not that hunting with a disability makes you one. This guy appears to be cheating the system and if this were me, I would document him cheating said system and nail his ass. Or I'd just fuck with him when he's out there. Go for jog in a Speedo, take goose calls to the stand and hunt right next to him, dump hair from the barber shop on his sets. If he's going to screw things up for you, then repay the favor...

buckstar25

T-county
Another idea, this really seems to work well in our situation. The landowner wants people to hunt, wants the numbers down but doesn't want the drama.

He put together a system, he has an aerial map of his property, all boundaries clearly marked. Inside his property he had areas numbered. You must sign in on the day you hunt, when you sign in nobody goes into that area. It's exclusive for that day, or as long as you are signed in. At the end of the day, you sign out. If you fail to follow his rules, you won't be hunting there long.

I can't stop anybody from hunting my own property, when I am not there. You are a guest at another persons property, the same holds true with your situation. The best you can hope for is the guy understands the situation and you 2 can come up with your own system.

If you haven't met the guy, callin him a piece of shit is pretty harsh, and some people wonder why land access is so hard for some to get.....

buckstar25

T-county
Ok, so I'm not sure how I missed the other posts. My bad, if you have actually tried reasoning with the guy and he doesn't understand that's a little different. Just saw your picture of the stand he hung. I ran into the same situation last year, only the stand was hung within reach of ours. I confronted the guy the next day and the stand(s) came down.

It's a crap situation all the way around, especially since it seems you are trying to do everything right. I hope you can come to some sort of agreement, sounds like my previous post will not work with this guy.