Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Not sure what to do

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have some uneasy feelings about a certain situation that is coming to light at one of my hunting properties. I have never really had to share a property with someone else before and this year is the first. The land owner of this property has given a neighbor that joins up to his property permission to be there. The land owner gave him my number and told him to contact me so that we could collaborate and not step on each others toes. He called before season and introduced himself and we had a nice talk. We have tested a few tomes back and forth about the hunts we have had and what we have seen. Each time I just can't seem to get a feel about the guy. One part of me wants to think he is genuine but then there is a larger part of me that thinks the guy is a real jerk off and is going to real fugg up the property. I currently have one setup on this property and it is about 87 acres and could easily support 2 hunters. This is where it gets kinda tricky.

Tonight I get a call. He tells me about and where he has hung 2 stands and setup a ground blind in less than a week. And he is wanting to setup another stand within 50 yds of my only setup. And then he told me about how he was back there with his quad today scouting. I mean really?

Here is the other thing that doesn't sit well with me about this guy. He doesn't work and is on disability. He has told me it's because his back. I have no clue what caused this or how it happened. He made the comment tonight that he has a climber but doesn't use it because of his back, but yet he can somehow hang all these other stands.

I'm just really torn because I'm not sure if this guy is nice but just super nieve or he is just a stupid fugger.

What's your guys take?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm now sharing a property for the first time as well. The only thing I don't like is that he is brown it's down type of guy. He will fill all of his tags.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Not A Smart Hunter (Very polite way of calling him a stupid fugger)....... Sounds like he's gonna dirty up the place. Maybe not, but doing a lot in the first year.

Huckleberry Finn

I'd pull your stand (or swap it to a cheap one) and then not hunt it - but keep permission.

Keep tabs on the guy for when he drives in the field, wounds multiple deer, litters, etc...

I share a piece of woods that technically split by parcel. We get along just fine in terms of setting up and management goals. It can work.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Well, that sucks! I hear ya, Steve. You are now going to share this land with a guy that will hunt with reckless abandonment. Step on your toes or crowd you out. Doesn't it SUCK that some people can't work, but hunt and do other enjoyable outdoor activities with no problems? Lol

badger

*Supporting Member*
I'd try to get out there with the guy so you can feel him out person to person. It could be a good way to find out his intentions. He might not be a bad guy or he might be a douche. Either way you could let him know where you will be hunting, and where he won't be hunting.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I'd try to get out there with the guy so you can feel him out person to person. It could be a good way to find out his intentions. He might not be a bad guy or he might be a douche. Either way you could let him know where you will be hunting, and where he won't be hunting.

I'd second that. Reality is, he too has permission to be there. Sucks that it appears he is cutting in on where you are set up and that he may not have the same style as many oaf is, but the landowner has granted him access. Try and spend time a field to feel him out.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Been down this road before..... usually ends with one person leaving the property or pissed off. Sounds like he's very disabled (sucking off the tit) like a lot of people these days. A guy with that much time on his hands usually isn't THAT hurt and if he's out there that much he has already buggered up a lot of the property. Driving a quad everywhere isn't going to help matters. Like Huck said.... keep tabs and document everything (cell pics) so if it gets ugly you have a case with the land owner to boot this turd!

twireman

Kingston, OH
Sounds like he is trying to take over the property and see how much he can nudge you out. I would speak with him and let him know my intentions on the property and set up boundaries between stands. 50 yards is hardly enough. I wouldn't want to be in my stand staring at this dick for very long...

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree with Dale. You need to talk with the guy again. Maybe he just doesn't hunt with the same intensity as you & has no idea he's fugging things up. If nothing else after talking with him, you WILL know one of two things for sure.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Maybe he is really just stupid and doesn't know better. Seriously. My neighbor is a total and complete idiot. Nice guy once he saw he couldn't punk me out, but dumber than a box of rocks.

His hunting technique? Gun or bow, doesn't matter, he goes into the woods at daylight and makes as much noise as he can. He can be talking on a phone, smoking one as he goes up the hill with his buddy and has been known to wave and/or yell hello if he knows you are in the woods hunting as he's heading in.

And it's a given that he will be sighting in his gun either the day before, or the day of, gun season. The dumbass was shooting his gun Saturday, then hunted later that day.

But the thing is, he really and truly is excited about deer hunting. He loves it. Well, at least the thought of it because the relatively few times he has got to pull a trigger, he's missed, (again gun or bow) but he still fancies himself as being a great deer hunter someday.

Maybe this guy is like him. My neighbor would be like a sponge and would love to soak up information if anyone spent the time trying to teach him a thing or two.

So spend some field time with the guy. You might be pleasantly surprised and if that works well, then come and spend some time with my neighbor as I don't have the patience for that crap. rotflmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am thinking a face to face is a good idea. Print out some topo maps and invite him to lunch or breakfast. Make some clear boundaries and request he respects your stands and the fact you have been hunting it for years. Probably the best you can do. With a face to face sit down, at least you will get a better gut feeling about him.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Interesting, Steve. I've been down this road before too. I had to teach one guy how to hunt to keep him from continuing to mess up the game for me. I guess I taught him how I wanted him to hunt... It worked out and we hunted together for several years until a divorce cut off most of his hunting. I've never had it better, however.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Steve, I feel for you. He apparently is trying to hunt the whole property and step over the line and see how far he can go. I'd meet him face to face and discuss things.

As for him being on disability and hunting.....that's bullshit but happens all the time these days. I'd let SS know about it as I see it as stealing and fraud. What a POS!

Sounds like he is trusting you to find the deer and then take over your spots. Had a guy doing that years ago on a property we shared. Couldn't take it any more and the landowner just wanted us to figure it out ourselves. Thank goodness that was when my buddy invited me to start hunting some of the farms he had access to or it was going to get ugly.