Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Non-Resident license fees to increase

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
fugg SNAKES!

lmao I bet you wonder how all us southerners lived past 20 with all dem snakes. We had a bunch, all you have to do is make sure you can see your feet, step up on logs vs over them, and if you're around water keep an eye out. We'd be good.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
lmao I bet you wonder how all us southerners lived past 20 with all dem snakes. We had a bunch, all you have to do is make sure you can see your feet, step up on logs vs over them, and if you're around water keep an eye out. We'd be good.
problem 1:tantrum:lmao

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've lived in Ohio all my life and snakes don't bother me. VENOMOUS snakes would bother me!! If I moved down there I'd probably be wearing some kind of snake proof chest high waders everywhere I went and carrying a Taurus judge loaded with shotshells. Not carrying it in a holster, in my hand. rotflmao

I'm sure that's something you'd get used to eventually but the thought of getting bit by a rattlesnake or something similar in my backyard freaks me out. The biggest thing we have to worry about up here is poison ivy and it won't kill you, it just itches like crazy. I know Ohio has a small population of venomous snakes but I've never seen one and doubt I ever will.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Anyone hear anything more on the n.r. lic. for 2014

Ohio eyes boost of non-resident fees

Steve Pollick Blog

Posted on January 31, 2014

Steve Pollick
Steve Pollick
A just-out proposal by Scott Zody, chief of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, would provide for what he calls a “modest” increase in non-resident hunting fees, including the base hunting tag and the either-sex deer permit, and it also would create a non-resident antlerless-only tag.

The chief notes that Ohio is underpriced when it comes to charging non-residents, especially for deer hunting, and even with this increase, Ohio will remain a very competitively priced state for non-residents to come and hunt. He considers the increases a “fair share” contribution by non-residents.

“Ohio has become a popular destination for non-resident hunters because of the state’s reputation for trophy-class white-tailed deer, but is undervalued when it comes to cost,” says a wildlife division position statement. Charts from 2010 provided by the division show Ohio ranked 13th in what it charges resident deer hunter, but only 35th in what it charges out-of-staters.

The foregoing is bolstered by the dramatic increase in the number of out-of-state plates -- from as distant as Maine and Vermont to South Carolina and Florida -- seen in the heart of Deer County in Ohio’s Southeast during both archery and slug-gun seasons.

So, Zody is proposing to boost the general non-resident hunting license to $149, up $25, and the either-sex deer permit to $99, up $76, for a total increase of $101. It would cost non-residents thus $248 to hunt deer here. An additional non-resident antlerless permit would double to $28, from the present $14.

So-doing should yield at least $3 million in much-needed funding, what with no increases in 10 years, according to the division, assuming at least 80 percent of non-resident hunters are not deterred by the fee boost.

“We are adamantly opposed to any free license additions/amendments,” the chief says, adding that the division loses not only state funding but also federal matching money when that happens. That is because the federal Pittman-Robertson Act formula on the hunting matc h is based on licenses sold, not just licenses issued.
The chief further notes: “One of the main reasons we need to do this is to ensure we capture the significant increases we are seeing in federal match due to the huge rise in gun and ammunition sales across the country. If we can’t match down the federal dollars, they revert back to Washington and are gone forever.” Remember, the division’s funding rests principally on hunter and angler shoulders; the state’s general tax funds, which we also pay as citizens, do not subsidize wildlife division programs. The federal “matc h” comes from excise taxes we pay on hunting and fishing equipment and boat-fuel tax.

So, a prososed bill to effect the boosted non-resident fees is expected to be introduced in the General Assembly, “and the sooner we can get the sportsmen engaged to start making contacts, the better our chances,” Zody said.

Further details on this plan can be expected in the next print issue of Ohio Outdoor News, but Ohio sportsmen need to mull this plan over, and make their views known soon. The annual rules-making process is under way for deer and other game and fish rules. The annual district public meetings will come early next month, followed by Ohio Wildlife Council and/or General Assembly legislative action. Don’t wait till it is too late to have your say, at least by the district meetings.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
$99.00 to much for a doe. Antlerless permits are a good price, But the problem is that we typicaly don't shoot does till gun season and you cant use the antlerless permits for gun, If they would change this. to later in the year id be happy. I wont pay 99 bucks to shoot a doe. Just to much.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
$99.00 to much for a doe. Antlerless permits are a good price, But the problem is that we typicaly don't shoot does till gun season and you cant use the antlerless permits for gun, If they would change this. to later in the year id be happy. I wont pay 99 bucks to shoot a doe. Just to much.

As I see it the 99.00 price is for a either sex tag. So it's not a doe tag only. It's the price for deer hunting adventure.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

For those complaining of a dwindling deer herd (myself included in some areas) I think this is a positive. If we want to increase numbers and future trophy potential for out of stats hunters this is a must. BUT, there needs to be a doe deterrent for residents as well for this to work. Just my initial thought.

For those complaining of a dwindling deer herd (myself included in some areas) I think this is a positive. If we want to increase numbers and future trophy potential for out of stats hunters this is a must. BUT, there needs to be a doe deterrent for residents as well for this to work. Just my initial thought.

LOL yeah I don't think it's the NR that are putting such a hurt on the doe populations.....we're only there for the bucks behind ever tree!! Glad you mentioned the doe deterrent for the residents.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LOL yeah I don't think it's the NR that are putting such a hurt on the doe populations.....we're only there for the bucks behind ever tree!! Glad you mentioned the doe deterrent for the residents.

Agreed. Watching the TV hunt shows I never see a TV Host NR shoot any does. And were are these bucks behind every tree anyways? LOL
I had to laugh when I read that. I did a outfitter elk hunt on horseback in WY about 22 yrs. ago. There was a hunter there from NJ and he got upset when there wasn't a elk behind every tree like the deer in NJ. After 2 days he went to town and partied at a motel. I got my small bull with a handgun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just being realistic Chuck. The increase will deter NR from shooting does. I don't doubt it at all. Removing early season antlerless tags and replacing them with a $24 tag isn't a huge deterrent in my opinion. I will gladly drop another $5-10 to fill my freezer. Disclaimer: I will do so in a selective manner. Certain properties I hunt I wilL NOT kill a doe on as I am not seeing as many.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Agreed. Watching the TV hunt shows I never see a TV Host NR shoot any does. And were are these bucks behind every tree anyways? LOL
I had to laugh when I read that. I did a outfitter elk hunt on horseback in WY about 22 yrs. ago. There was a hunter there from NJ and he got upset when there wasn't a elk behind every tree like the deer in NJ. After 2 days he went to town and partied at a motel. I got my small bull with a handgun.

Take a drive through the state park cabins and campgrounds of SE Ohio during early November. The NRs kill a lot more antlerless deer than you realize. Is it comparable to the resident doe harvest?... Maybe, maybe not... But the fact remains they ain't coming to Ohio just to shoot a buck.

You guys are probably right, I can see them thinking they better go home with something. That and a second tag in the past only costing $24 I could see them shooting the first doe they see. An extra $99 tag is pretty steep for any of us to go throwing on a slick head LOL!!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We have more then enough does in our area. They need to be thinned out and I love me a freezer full of venison. I just don't like shooting does till the rut is over. And early season its to hot to hang them, So I start shooting them gun season. Of the six of us that hunt our lease we only shot 4 does last year. Ive seen 50 of them in one day hunting. Need to get the buck to doe ratiao closer to management goals. Wont happen at 99 bucks a tag.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Checked out the odnr web site, Its showing 2014-2015 lic.
Ohio Division of Wildlife

License, Permit & Stamp Purchase - License Selection

The licenses listed below are available based on residency, age, current date, and items already purchased. To select a license or permit, check the box to the left of the license or permit name. Replacement licenses are displayed at the bottom of the page if any licenses are eligible to be replaced.

Once you have selected all the items you would like to purchase, click the Continue button to complete this transaction.

Fishing Licenses

Product Description Expiration Date Product Code Price
NON RESIDENT FISHING

02/28/2015 (0110) $40.00
3 DAY FISHING

- (0120) $19.00
1 DAY FISHING

- (0141) $11.00
LAKE ERIE CHARTER 1-DAY FISHING LICENSE

02/28/2015 (0143) $11.00

Hunting & Trapping

NON RESIDENT HUNTING

02/28/2015 (0220) $125.00
APPRENTICE NON RESIDENT HUNTING

02/28/2015 (0222) $125.00
NON RESIDENT 3 DAY HUNT SMALL GAME

- (0230) $40.00
SPRING TURKEY PERMIT

02/28/2015 (0401) $24.00
NON RESIDENT FUR TAKER PERMIT

02/28/2015 (0520) $15.00
APPRENTICE NR FUR TAKER PERMIT

02/28/2015 (0522) $15.00
OHIO WETLANDS STAMP

02/28/2015 (0601) $15.00

Shooting Range Permits

RANGE PERMIT ANNUAL

02/28/2015 (0700) $24.00
1 DAY RANGE PERMIT

02/28/2015 (0720) $5.00

Lottery Applications For Controlled Hunting, Fishing & Trapping Opportunities

CASTALIA ADULT TROUT FISHING

02/28/2015 (2501) $3.00

If you are experiencing difficulty using this application and need assistance, you may email us at AOHFOHHFWebmaster@activenetwork.com or call the help desk at 1-866-703-1921.

at the same price as last year. Couldn't find a price for tags tho.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
Being a land owner in Ohio and considered as a Non-Resident I hope many can understand that I am not for going crazy with raising NR license fees simply because some have a hard time finding land to hunt on that isn't leased or, in the case of public land, riddled with NR hunters. I do agree with the need to make license costs comparable to what my state of Michigan costs but that's about it.

I know it may ruffle a few feathers but Ohio should do away with land owners not having to buy a tag. :smiley_blackeye: Last I checked they consider most animals controlled by the state and if you cannot keep the deer on your own property then they surely aren't yours to not have to buy a tag for. Now if they want to change the law back to the way it was several years ago, the deeded owner (regardless of residency) could go without purchasing a license, I'd be all for that!! :smiley_carnaval:

WTH? Take away landowner tag, no way.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am going to bust my butt to use my first land owner tag next year. Didn't push it this year. Hoping for an early season fat doe on my property next year. I do think there should be an exception for guys like Big Holla who live out of state but own land in state. They are paying property taxes here and it seems like they are being penalized.