Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Non-Resident license fees to increase

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I guess it would be easy to do if you didn't get caught transporting it back home. Not me.

You could still landowner temp tag it. Just because it's in the back of the truck and you're not home doesn't mean it wasn't shot at home. Or temp tag it with a regular tag and check it landowner.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You could still landowner temp tag it. Just because it's in the back of the truck and you're not home doesn't mean it wasn't shot at home. Or temp tag it with a regular tag and check it landowner.

Yep, damn you think of everything. LOL

Yep, there are likely many ways around it all and even when that person get's it back home if they didn't feel like calling it in they could just butcher it and into the freezer it goes. I guess that's why I never understood the temp tag thing, especially when they can be copied now or re-printed...or in the case of landowner tags tossed in the garbage and a new piece of paper ready to go for the next one. Seems the temp part should actually be a permanent tag that you have to fill all the blanks out in ink and that you simply add the check-in number to once you call it in. The landowner part is simply a loophole that cannot be closed. Unless of course you are an ethical hunter with morals and do it by the book.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Big_Holla;313769 The landowner part is simply a loophole that cannot be closed. Unless of course you are an ethical hunter with morals and do it by the book.[/QUOTE said:
That be me. I'm just too damn old and mean to be found guilty. I've said it before "if I say it put in the bank as it's a done deal".

I buy a hunting license every year. Most years I do buy a deer tag. The last few years I've hunted only on my property, because I was hunting a particular buck. I think most owners of small pieces of land do buy tags and licenses though. It wouldn't bother me if they did away with landowner tags. Where else can you spent $43 and have enjoyment for four months.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don't remember the exact figure, but recently I heard that the majority of deer killed in Meigs Co were tagged with landowner tags. I think it was somewhere in the ballpark of 60 or 70 percent... Which is obviously crazy high. Something's going on there...

i was checking last years publication 304 and meigs had a landowner tag use of 44%...that doesnt seem too aweful bad considering there are a lot of legacy family and property ownership in those counties.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub304.pdf

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
i was checking last years publication 304 and meigs had a landowner tag use of 44%...that doesnt seem too aweful bad considering there are a lot of legacy family and property ownership in those counties.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub304.pdf

Interesting. I still think 44% seems high. I thought the figure I heard was higher, but then again I think it pertained to 2013 and not 2012. Hard to say. My memory is total shit anymore.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Around 2005, it cost me about 140 to hunt KY. That was to purchase two turkey tags, four deer tags, and a hunting license! I think with the private sector slipping (cutbacks, pay reductions, and job losses), all these public (DOW, schools, public utilities, etc), should probably take a look around... The public sector has always been funded by the private. I think its moronic for the public sector to squeeze more money from the private when there is apparently less to go around.

I enjoyed hunting in KY, but I was what some would refer to as a border jumper. No way I'm paying 350 to hunt a few Saturdays a year an hour from my house!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Around 2005, it cost me about 140 to hunt KY. That was to purchase two turkey tags, four deer tags, and a hunting license! I think with the private sector slipping (cutbacks, pay reductions, and job losses), all these public (DOW, schools, public utilities, etc), should probably take a look around... The public sector has always been funded by the private. I think its moronic for the public sector to squeeze more money from the private when there is apparently less to go around.

I enjoyed hunting in KY, but I was what some would refer to as a border jumper. No way I'm paying 350 to hunt a few Saturdays a year an hour from my house!
now doubt that is a bummer on kentuck...i wanted to head down there with you some time and try it. thats too much cash for venison.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
now doubt that is a bummer on kentuck...i wanted to head down there with you some time and try it. thats too much cash for venison.

That equation gets in my head. Price vs satisfation vs worth. Taking a trip or two Outwest or somewhere else a little more wild and vacation like seems more and more desirable.

That equation gets in my head. Price vs satisfation vs worth. Taking a trip or two Outwest or somewhere else a little more wild and vacation like seems more and more desirable.

Yep, I'd love to go on a bear hunt again in Saskatchewan LOL!! Seems I'll get stuck paying what ever the ODOW say's it's worth just so I can enjoy what I have invested so much time and money into already, that and visit with my dad and family.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

id rather head south for some pork!!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I might start planning a pork hunt for this spring.

screw that maybe next year at this time and make a 5 day trip out of it...i would like to see some warmth at this time next year..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
screw that maybe next year at this time and make a 5 day trip out of it...i would like to see some warmth at this time next year..

My thought was turkey and pork combo. R un and gun for birds while keeping an eye out for hogs.