Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nicks 2017 Shed thread

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks everyone, I am in NE Ohio for those wondering. The deer in the immediate area around my house typically hold their antlers until late as well so I'm not sure what's going on with it this year. As for my wife, she's no stranger to the deer woods and she's become quite the little hunter over the last couple of years. I'm very proud of her. I don't think she's to the level of addiction that I am with whitetailed deer but she'll get there haha.

What a great photo Nick!!! Very pretty deer she got too! Congrats to you both!

nis1

Had a rough go at it over the weekend..for sheds at least. We hit the woods for about 6 hours on Saturday only to find a dead doe and see a coyote. Still an enjoyable hike though. Only made it out for a couple hours Sunday and was more so taking the dog for a walk than anything else but we stumbled upon a little 6 point road kill. I forgot to snap a pic before I buried the skull in the backyard. Monday we found a roadkill at work dead about 50 yards off the road. Young buck and it must have taken a bumper to the head because it had one antler broken off. Regardless, the head came back to the office with us and will be a decoration here in a couple months.

nis1

A major benefit of being a park employee is that I tend to get to spend a lot of time outside. Although I do have assignments and responsibilities, I tend to get the opportunity spend a little extra time in the woods this time of the year to help get me from weekend to weekend when I can do the majority of my shed hunting. Well today I found a pretty nice dead buck, my biggest dead head actually. I always find 1 1/2 yr olds dead but not usually anything bigger. This guy isn't all that huge but has an impressive amount of mass and although I hate to find dead deer, I was very excited when I stumbled upon him.

nis1

I've been slacking on updates. Been walking just about every chance I can. Two weekends ago I found 2 during a 5 mile hike but both were old. One on a hilltop, one on the edge of a swamp

Walked again for most of the day Thursday and picked up a 4 point side and a skull of a buck that had shed one side and then died. Wasn't too far from the road so possible it was hit by a car.