Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nice 8

Sorry it took so long to get back been a busy weekend.

I shot the buck last saturday here in knox county, I have a cabin and some property on the hocking vinton county line but because of the bad weather report I decided to stay home and hunt up here. There was a strong wind out of the north which is perfect for one of my permanent stands. The stand is located on the top of a ridge(as much of a ridge as we have up here)The deer naturally travelthe ridge from a thicket in the bottom to the ag fields. I started out with my rain gear because it sure looked like rain and the rain gear helps cut the wind. At 5:00 this buck came right down the ridge which would give me a really nice 12 yard quartering away shot.

Ok I will try again,
I got ready as he passed behind a large maple, drew the bow and waited for him to step out. He decided to go down in the bottom and check out some scrapes down there. I let the bow down easy pulled my grunt tube up out of my jacket and grunted 3 times. The buck imiediatley started rubbing some small trees as he turned and came right back up the hill. He came striaght at me right to the top of the hill maybe 8 or 9 yards, but he only offered a full frontal shot and I thought when he turned to leave I would have a beter chance. there was no way he could smell me the wind was really strong and in my face. At that point he turned and went back down in the thick stuff faster than I could settle on him and shoot. He started working a scrape so I grunted 4 or 5 time. He then made a wide arc trying to get a wiff of the deer up on the hill. When that did not work he came right back up the hill looking for the deer. This time the angle was better, not perfect but better. At about 4 or 5 yards out I decided I could make the shot even though it was very steep. The shot was good the buck ran like a bat out of hell for 50 or 60 yards stopped wobbled and fell over.

Thanks for all the comments

Huck the hat came from Skeeter creek

the bow was set up by Milo at Skeeter creek. I have shot 2 deer this year with that bow and both died within sight.

Thanks again Milo

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Awesome deer congrats what part of Knox county are you in. Did this buck happen to come from rt 13 carter lumber area I saw one out there a few weeks ago looks very similar.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Nice Deer Man! Appreciate you sharing your pic's and story.

Good to see another satisfied Skeeter Creek customer TOO. That Milo is a good'n.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Very very nice deer man. I appreciate you sharing it with us. Heck of a buck.