Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

new to duck hunting

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have decided to throw my hat into the duck and goose hunting ring, I have never hunted duck or geese but after reading about it here on TOO I think it would be something I would really enjoy. The reason I'm posting this is because I don't have a clue where to start, I figured I could ask my TOO brothers what I am going to need to get started without going overboard, I already have the shotguns covered I think but from there I'm clueless, so what am I gonna need guys?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm glad to hear you want to get into waterfowling, man! Be warned... it is addictive, and it will cost you more money. lmao

Ok so here are some of the basics that I think would get you started into duck hunting:

1-2 dozen cheap mallard decoys... Greenhead Gear, Flambeau, or similar.
A polycarbonate double-reed duck call... Echo, Zink, RNT, Buck Gardner all can be found for 30 bucks or less.
Kent Fasteel #3s or #4s... this steel shot is inexpensive and very well-made.
Waders... *see below.
Outergarments... **see below.

*Waders - These are a necessity for duck hunting in marshes and swamps, however the brand/type/thickness are a matter of personal preference. If you're unsure of your commitment to waterfowling and want to keep things cheap, you can pick up some uninsulated rubber or canvas waders that won't break the bank... However, these are cold, these are uncomfortable, and these are not very ergonomic IMO. If you think you'll be into waterfowling for a while, do yourself a favor and buy some quality neoprene waders. For a good pair, you can expect to pay anywhere from $150 to $250. I have a pair of Cabelas 5mm Supermag waders that have been absolutely great. I think I paid around $150 when they were on sale... normal price is around 200 bones. Neoprene is warmer, more comfortable, and more ergonomic.

**Outerwear - Again, you can go cheap if you want, or you can go for broke... it's all about preference. Here's something to keep in mind... When it comes to waterfowling, generally the shittier the weather the better the hunting is. In order for you to sit through the shitty weather comfortably, you're going to need some quality, warm, and preferably water-resistant outer garments. There are a ton of camo patterns that will work just fine for waterfowling. If you're hunting in flooded timber areas, the same camo patterns you use for deer hunting will work just fine. If you hunt mostly swamps and marshes, a lighter cattail-like pattern may be best. I'm a fan of Realtree Max-4 for waterfowling camo.

----

Goose hunting is an entirely different animal. The calling is different, the setups are different, and generally more gear is needed. If you're hunting fields for geese, you'll need a layout blind and more decoys. If I were you, I'd pick up 3 or 4 goose floater decoys and use them in conjunction with your duck hunts... basically hoping for a "bonus" goose every now and then. Try to hook up with a TOO brother that's fully set up to goose hunt and go on a few tag-along hunts to see what it's all about. There is a butt load of effort and expense that goes into shooting just couple geese, so take goose hunting for a test drive before completely diving into it.

Good luck!!!

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
All I can say is open up your wallet,,but it is well worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You gotta decide what the majority of your hunts will be either field or water

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All I can say is open up your wallet,,but it is well worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You gotta decide what the majority of your hunts will be either field or water

What he said. It's an addiction like none other. I remember someone telling me I'd give up bowhunting if I kept waterfowling. No lie, I enjoy waterfowling twice as much as I do the bowhunting any more.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What he said. It's an addiction like none other. I remember someone telling me I'd give up bowhunting if I kept waterfowling. No lie, I enjoy waterfowling twice as much as I do the bowhunting any more.

The one thing that's truly great about waterfowling is the comradery that goes along with it. I love bowhunting very much, but it's mainly an individual experience. Not that that's a bad thing... I find the solitude in bowhunting to be a bit of spiritual experience. But with duck hunting, you don't have to be perfectly quiet the whole time... You don't have to be scent-free... You can joke and mess around with your buddies while you're waiting on birds, telling stories about epic hunts of the past. There are certain hunts you may go on where you just flat out punish yourself... but in the end, waterfowling is just plain fun!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My feet are firmly planted. I cannot see me taking this up. Sounds like a lot of fun, a lot of money, and time I don't have. I am sure I would love it. Darn good reason to fight the urge against starting. lmao

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
the one thing that's truly great about waterfowling is the comradery that goes along with it. I love bowhunting very much, but it's mainly an individual experience. Not that that's a bad thing... I find the solitude in bowhunting to be a bit of spiritual experience. But with duck hunting, you don't have to be perfectly quiet the whole time... You don't have to be scent-free... You can joke and mess around with your buddies while you're waiting on birds, telling stories about epic hunts of the past. There are certain hunts you may go on where you just flat out punish yourself... But in the end, waterfowling is just plain fun!

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with you. I started waterfowling last season. My love for archery is unbreakable but I have a love hate relationship with bowhunting.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm just going to buy Curran a gas card and offer to buy breakfast...

We'll make it happen Huck. Especially if you're gonna be in the area now. I can picture it now. You, Beentown, Longdraw & Me laying in a muddy field with geese falling from the sky.... Oh what a beautiful sight.

And Buckbuster, I'll be over your way this summer, so we'll have to get together and talk when I go to my buddy's cabin. I've had a couple decent duck & goose hunts over in your neighborhood. Hopefully we can team up this fall and shoot some birds.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
We'll make it happen Huck. Especially if you're gonna be in the area now. I can picture it now. You, Beentown, Longdraw & Me laying in a muddy field with geese falling from the sky.... Oh what a beautiful sight.

And Buckbuster, I'll be over your way this summer, so we'll have to get together and talk when I go to my buddy's cabin. I've had a couple decent duck & goose hunts over in your neighborhood. Hopefully we can team up this fall and shoot some birds.

sounds like a plan Sean! I would really appreciate it if we could get together for acouple hunts to point me in the right direction.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Def an addicting sport.... theres times i find myself hanging up the bow to go and kill some ducks/geese just bc its so refreshing. No scent control, cooking food, shooting the bull, just flat out fun! But like most have said its a very expensive sport. If your in a area where field hunting is dominant your going to want a lay out blind and several dozen full body deeks. It gets to be a rush when you shoot banded birds as well! Its like winning the lottery or shooting a booner!. Im sure theres plenty of us on here that would be willing to take you out.