Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New spot, need advice

rsmith

Okay, so my friend and I are going to one of his spots on October 24th-26th and I have only heard about this spot never been to it. He says it is right by a creek and also by a acre of pines to the south and about 5 acres of tree tops to the north, east and west due to logging about 5 years ago. We were going to go out their and check it out a week before we hunt it and I was thinking about hanging 2 scent bombs, one dominate buck and one doe in estrus to get the deer to come by and check it out. I was wondering if this would be a good way to get the deer to stop by or would you guys recomend something else? He says there is a couple faint trails that deer may travel by the stand I will be hunting but I just wanted to know what you guys would do if you were in my situation. I do not want to hang a feeder and start putting all kinds of stuff on his property because he is kind enough to take me to one of his spots and let me hunt it So any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If it were me, I wouldn't fool with the scent. Especially not a week before you hunt. If anything, dump 50-100 pounds of corn and some apples. If its a good funnel, they'll be there without any enticing.

rsmith

If it were me, I wouldn't fool with the scent. Especially not a week before you hunt. If anything, dump 50-100 pounds of corn and some apples. If its a good funnel, they'll be there without any enticing.
I was thinking about that. I think I may just grab 100 pounds of corn and 4 bushels of apples and a camera and just let it sit their and check it when I get in the stand

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
If you're going to put corn on ground put some deer c'mere corn coat on the corn. Works for my brother and I all the time. Don't pour corn coat into the feeder though, it would clog up the spinner. It was pain in the ass, had to get all the corn out of the feeder to clear the corn coat out of it. Good luck on nailing the deer, dude.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Yeah corn coat goes well with everything....just like bacon goes well with everything lol

rsmith

Thanks, I bought 200 pounds of corn from walmart lastnight for 8 bucks for 50 which is a good deal, than I bought 2 jars of molasses and about 40 pounds of apples and am going to put half at one of my new spots and I just got permission for another spot so now I got to see what I got their too. A little late for getting permission but I got a call asking if I wanted to hunt 60 acres of mostly oak trees that hasn't been hunted on in 7 years so ofcourse I said yes so now it's time to get stuff rolling out their too.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks, I bought 200 pounds of corn from walmart lastnight for 8 bucks for 50 which is a good deal, than I bought 2 jars of molasses and about 40 pounds of apples and am going to put half at one of my new spots and I just got permission for another spot so now I got to see what I got their too. A little late for getting permission but I got a call asking if I wanted to hunt 60 acres of mostly oak trees that hasn't been hunted on in 7 years so ofcourse I said yes so now it's time to get stuff rolling out their too.

Find your local feed mill and get corn there. I just went to mine and got 200 pounds for $24. I also shook my buddies apple trees and got 150 pounds of apples for free.