Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New site for free TOPO maps

OO2

In the Uplands
Curious what sight you guys are using for TOPO maps now? I found CalTopo but am curious if there is a way to overlay the property lines to the TOPO map you find on the internet with layers?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The problem with most free topo maps is the contour interval... Most of them are like 10-foot or even 25-foot contours. That's fine if you're in southern Ohio or somewhere else with really steep, pronounced terrain. But in the flatlands that information is basically worthless. The best option is some GIS software and free lidar data, with which you can create your own custom contour interval. But that requires knowledge of GIS software and processing, which most folks don't have. Thankfully a lot of county auditor websites now offer some damn good online mapping interfaces.

OO2

In the Uplands
Okay thanks guys. I am looking at a piece in SE Ohio and am stuck with 40' or 5' lines. Having trouble finding the key spots with 5' lines due to so many and the 40' line map doesn't have boundaries.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Second to county auditor's pages. Most are doing 10' contours on their base maps. I also have the app PDF Maps and download the free maps, which are the standard USGS 20' contours. Combine that with Google Earth so I can rotate views and lay the image flat to view habitat in conjunction with terrain and it's a tremendous way to start scouting! In fact, I located 2 points of interest at Strouds that way last night and another on a piece of local ground.