Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

new regs for deer season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guys... He asked for a show of hands from those who have refrained from killing any antlerless deer...

I will clarify that my hand(s) are raised because we are not shooting antlerless at all on our property in Ohio. And let me also clarify I would LOVE to be able to fill a few tags a season with does/button bucks/etc. but we know there is a problem and CHOOSE not to do it there.

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
It would be interesting to know how many of the folks on this forum who continually complain about declining deer numbers and poor management strategies have killed their one antlered deer and refrained from killing even one antlerless deer in each of the last 5 seasons. show of hands?

this "problem" should be blamed as much on hunters themselves and commercial influence as much as any state wildlife agency.

I've killed two does since 1992...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Guys... He asked for a show of hands from those who have refrained from killing any antlerless deer...

I understood what he meant Jim but just wanted to clarify a bit more I guess. I'll put my hand back down. ROTFLMAO

Seriously though, I understand his post and he brings up a very valid point. I for one have bitched about the goings on with the ODNR stuff and the lack of does just as much as the next guy and if I were the big part of the problem and shooting multiple does every year around the areas I hunt then I'd be a hypocrite in that regard. I have stopped shooting does since 2011 and the doe I killed here in behind my FIL's place is the only doe I've ever killed here in the SW.

I'll say this as I said it once or twice before, overkill isn't the only reason were in this predicament IMO. I know for a fact that EHD killed several bucks just in my hunting area here in Warren county two years ago and I think it's killed many more than our state biologist believe. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't take that into consideration when the amount of tags us hunters are allowed each year! Back in 2007-2008 when EHD hit the herd real hard they didn't reduce the tag allotment like they should have and used us hunters to knock the hell out of them even harder! Plus, just because a deer gets struck by a car once in awhile doesn't mean this state is polluted with deer. I about hit a deer last night but it's the only deer I've seen near the road let alone nearly hit in quite some time.

Just seems the deer that die that weren't recorded as harvested deer didn't exist but were considered in the over exaggerated 750K numbers! :smiley_confused_vra

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I understood what he meant Jim but just wanted to clarify a bit more I guess. I'll put my hand back down. ROTFLMAO

Seriously though, I understand his post and he brings up a very valid point. I for one have bitched about the goings on with the ODNR stuff and the lack of does just as much as the next guy and if I were the big part of the problem and shooting multiple does every year around the areas I hunt then I'd be a hypocrite in that regard. I have stopped shooting does since 2011 and the doe I killed here in behind my FIL's place is the only doe I've ever killed here in the SW.

I'll say this as I said it once or twice before, overkill isn't the only reason were in this predicament IMO. I know for a fact that EHD killed several bucks just in my hunting area here in Warren county two years ago and I think it's killed many more than our state biologist believe. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't take that into consideration when the amount of tags us hunters are allowed each year! Back in 2007-2008 when EHD hit the herd real hard they didn't reduce the tag allotment like they should have and used us hunters to knock the hell out of them even harder! Plus, just because a deer gets struck by a car once in awhile doesn't mean this state is polluted with deer. I about hit a deer last night but it's the only deer I've seen near the road let alone nearly hit in quite some time.

Just seems the deer that die that weren't recorded as harvested deer didn't exist but were considered in the over exaggerated 750K numbers! :smiley_confused_vra

Not only did they not lower the tag allotment after EHD, they capitalized on it by adding tags and another gun season. They knew full well what they were doing. Kick them while their down and start the herd decimation.